Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My mass air sensor went out, the infiniti dealer stated my…

My mass air sensor...

My mass air sensor went out

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The infiniti dealer stated my mass airbag sensor went out..im really lost and confused on what the sensor and does.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

2010 fx25 AWD....

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No its currently at the dealership

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, if my mass air sensor failed does that mean my PCM is not communicating correctly?

9/18/2017
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What is going on with the vehicle that you are being told you need a MAF sensor?

my car started shaking while driving no light came on. Turn the car off then back on check in light came on.
I took it to the Infiniti dealer they started it's my mass air sensor that failed. Is there more then one mass air filter?

Your car has 2 Maf sensors. Did you have a Service Engine Soon light on?

No once I restarted the car the "check engine" came on.

Were you told what code numbers you had?

Currently waiting for them to email the notes. 3 weeks ago I had the occupant detection system control unit replaced.
I also complained of hard downshifts and delayed jerking acceleration. They said I missing transmission fluid after I had to demonstrate the error. Meaning my vehicle was never test driven. Do you think due to the failed MAF can caused related issues?

The MAF sensor won't cause a shift issue. It can cause a driveablity issue though..

Nothing related to the Occupant system either.

When you say the car was shaking.. Was it running ruff? Shuttering on acceleration? Please explain?

very ruff! I couldn't go pass 10mph everything was shaking no acceleration.

Would it not rev over 2k rpms? Does that sounds right?

sir

That is a sign of a bad MAF sensor.

Let me explain what the MAF sensor does so you understand...

the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor has a heated element which meters the air so the computer can add the proper fuel mixture so the engine can run properly. If the MAF sensro has fallen out of spec it may or may not cause a Service Engine Soon light cause it still meters air, but not properly.

So If the MAF sensor is found to be bad, do not replace with a After Market one. After market MAF sensors never seem to work properly. There heated element doesn't work right which can cause 02 sensors to flat line and have you chasing you tail trying to figure out what is wrong. So the only way to correct this issue if you do have a bad MAF sensor is to replace it with a OEM.

Thank you for explaining! Is the MAF sensor suppose to be checked? Or isn't something that's only checked when it's failed?

You only would check it if there is a problem...

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Thank you for you help. Have a good day!

Your welcome, you have a good day as well..

Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician