Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It is a 1997 QX4, was starting and running fine and then it…

It is a 1997...

It is a 1997 QX4, was starting and running fine and then it just wont start. Lights and everything works, no crank at all on the starter, no clicks or anything just nothing. Ignition relay??

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

Just shy of 200,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and this is as far as I have researched. Have looked at some other sites and it has pointed me to a bad relay

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Has had an engine light on and had it diagnosed as a fuel vapor sensor.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and i will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

This can also be a security system fault. I attached a reset procedure for you to review and try. in most cases, this takes care of the problem unless there is a fault in the system to whereas the computer system needs to be addressed with a scan tool. After reading the preliminaries, then scroll down to your car/Toyota ie: lexus.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Thank you, ***** ***** have also read that that could also be the problem. I don't know if this is part of the problem, but I found it odd that I cannot get the car out of park. Is that part of the possible security problem or a neutral safety switch problem or none of the above. As it is right now I don't know how it could be towed as I do have AAA.
Phone call session started

Thanks for the call.