Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

AC system is charged. Compressor is not turning on. Mechanic…

Customer Question
AC system is charged...

AC system is charged. Compressor is not turning on. Mechanic checked comrpessor and said problem seems to be electrical. I have checked fuses, need to know if there is a relay or sensor that may be bad.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

150,751 yes starts normally

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

2008 QX56

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX56 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked refrigerant charge, and looked for bad fuse. Mechanic tested compressor and said it is good, but said it appears to be an electrical issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Looking for starting point.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Infiniti
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/16/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

im just courious if there is no power getting to compressor how did mechanic verify it was ok?

I not certain but he may have used external power source

so there is a relay and fuse in the right rear fuse panel underhood, your looking for fuse 42 and the a/c relay should be labeled, do you have a colt meter to check for power and ground?

I found fuse 10 amp and tested it. Has continuity. I do not have a volt meter. I could not identify the relay. I have a friend who has a meter I can use tomorrow.
I see the relays but they are not labled

it should be in the user manual, I have only have a wiring diagram to go by

Owners manual did not come with the car. was hoping there was something simple I could troubleshoot before taking back to shop. Just got tires and brakes so money tight.Thought I could check fuses and relays. IF it is plugged orifice valve, different story.

ok ill open this back up for the others to help maybe they have a diagram

ok
Infiniti Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's going to require some electrical testing to determine why the compressor isn't being commanded on. The problem could be several things including the control head itself, incorrect ambient temperature sensor signal, the evaporator temperature sensor, it could be a bad pressure sensor, the a/c amplifier, and wiring between any of the components. The ability to perform electrical testing and a scan tool to read fault codes and monitor data will be necessary to proceed with testing.