Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

While driving, there's a shifting lag into 5th gear,

Customer Question
While driving, there's a...

While driving, there's a shifting lag into 5th gear, however, if you accelerate quickly into 5th there's no lag?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It's an 2004 fx45, no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your FX45 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Using the manual mode, where you control the shifting, there's no delay either if I remember correctly. Had the transmission fluid checked and it looks normal

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Infiniti
9/13/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

are you getting any check engine lights on in the dash?

No check engine lights
Seems like it has to make up its mind shifting from 4th into 5th, no spike in rpm's or revving, 1 second lag or delay you can feel and then shifts into 5th gear. No jerking or shuttering.

how long has it been sense you have serviced the transmission ?

Haven't serviced the transmission since I've owned it. Bought used about 15,000 miles ago
Just started happening after an oil change a couple weeks ago, switched to a full synthetic

if levels are good you can try doing a service on it, if that dosent clear it up you will need to have a computer scan it for issues

When using the manual mode, when you shift into 5th, there's no lag either
What specifically is doing service on a transmission? Flush? Drain and fill?

I never recommend a flush, always do a drain and fill and that vehicle only takes 1 fluid that is the nissan matic J, any other fluid will make things waaaaaaay worse

The transmission fluid is the correct color and doesn't smell burnt, not sure if a flush wouldn't cause more problems than fix them
Is there anything that comes to mind as far as specifics go regarding this issue? I know there's a multitude of possibilities here, just wondering what this issue is specifically called or maybe preventative maintenance I could do so it doesn't get any worse
Would a reprogramming of the transmission possibly resolve anything?

if you want to really play it safe it would be best to get a trans service and have a scan done of the system and make sure there are no updates for the TCM and also no codes or issues visually with the numbers when driving. Those TCM's have had a few updates come out sense they were put in production,

take it to a transmission specialist or would a Nissan/Infiniti dealership be okay here?
Do you have any idea on ballpark pricing to get the transmission diagnosed or have the TCM updated?
Have you ever heard of an automatic having a shifting delay into 5th, but when in manual mode, there's no lag?

Def take it to infinity/nissan and it should just be a hour labor for everything, if it needs a update and try to charge you more they are nuts, it will already be on the computer and all they have to do is press a button, so dont let them over charge you, some dealers will try to do that

Yes I have, one of the main things is particles in the trans and or dirt, and second for those trans specifically are the updates

is there at any point, that you would recommend a transmission flush?
Possibly if all else fails or the delay gets worse?

never would I recommend one, its subjects the transmission and its components to different pressures and tends to dislodge things and cause more harm than good, there is one machine that uses the trans own pressure and the cooler lines in/out to get new fluid in the system, this is ok but most the machines that do the flush are not that great and cause more problems than good