Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

Can low transmission fluid level your car over heat, I dont

Customer Question

can low transmission fluid level your car over heat
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: I dont know
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2005 infinity fx35
JA: Are you fixing your FX35 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I got the Radiator change because it was crack the fan come on but it still run hot after a while
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Im going to check the transmission fluid because some did come put while it was getting change
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

Low ATF will not cause the car to overheat. If there is still air in the system from replacing the radiator, that will cause the car to overheat. Check and make sure the cooling fans come on, and make sure there is heat from the heater at idle. If there isn't then there is air in the cooling system still and it will need to be bled out.

If the cooling fans aren't coming on, then the wiring to the fans should be checked.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do you bled the coolant system
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 month ago.

There is a special tool for this, however you can do it with a spill proof funnel and a set of car ramps.

Install the funnel on the radiator, put the car up on jack stands if you have them or get the nose about 22 inches off the ground.

Start the engine and run it to about 2500 rpms until it comes up to temp. Turn the heater on high and wait until you have heat. Then turn the engine off and allow it to cool for a bit. The funnel should have some coolant in it when you begin this procedure. Then as the engine cools off the coolant will get sucked into the radiator. Do this as much as needed to get heat at idle speed. Once you have heat at idle, turn it off, wait for it to cool down, remove the funnel and top off the radiator. This should get all the air out. Air pockets get trapped in the heater core because it's higher then the radiator. This process gets the radiator higher then the heater core so the air will travel there and burp out.