Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

I got the alternator on my 2002 I35 replaced three weeks ago

Customer Question
along with the battery and...
I got the alternator on my 2002 I35 replaced three weeks ago along with the battery and now the new alternator appears unable to charge the new battery. The same thing happened with the old alternator, but it seems that his should not happen with the new one. The Nissan dealer is the place that replaced the alternator. I put about 300 miles on the new alternator before I discovered the problem.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: No, but upon visual inspection, there are no signs of any leakage. It looks like a brand new battery.
JA: Are you fixing your I35 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I took it to a Nissan Dealer.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Infiniti
9/8/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Is the battery dying?

it did today. I jumped it to get it started again. But after I removed the cables, it quickly died again while the engine was running. Note that it did not run well and seemed to be going into limp mode I think. So I jumped it again, and charged it for about 12 minutes. Then I started it, and drove it a mile and parked it.

ok so we need to check the battery and make sure its ok, and 2nd after that is done check the charging system to see what its putting out at the battery, that charging system int complicated so it could only be a few things

Infiniti Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Shawn.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician