Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My check engine light is on,and I need to renew my

My check engine light...

My check engine light is on,and I need to renew my registration

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Infiniti,qx4,2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bought a scan tool that arrives on friday

8/16/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and i will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Your scan tool will be able to turn off that light and clear the codes, BUT, that didn't fix anything and the light will come back on. the problem you are going to have is that after you clear the codes, ALL the monitors need to run and that can take up to a weeks worth of every day driving. Once the monitors have all run, the light will come back on with the same fault you cleared. Sorry for the bad news, and i sure hope it doesn't affect my 5 star rating for telling you the truth.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor