Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Need to move power steering solenoid from old rack to new…

Need to move power steering...
Need to move power steering solenoid from old rack to new and I can't seem to get it off. How do I remove it? In hindsight I should have bought the rack with the solenoid installed for an extra $60. Here are pictures of the old and new. THe FSM for my car does not contain any information about removal and replacement for it. I'm looking for practical advice and would appreciate it if I was not sent a link from the web.Thanks,
Brian
8/13/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today. This solenoid should be able to be screwed out. May I have the year make and model of the vehicle so that I can check a few things?

2009 infinity g37 awd. I think I need a large metric thin wrench. I'm unable to see if infiniti sells the part independently

Just a moment, give me a moment to review a few things, please.

There is not much talk about removing the solenoid, but yes, you will need a wrench that can fit on the valve and you will also need to clamp the rack so that it is steady enough for you to apply force and remove the valve. Here, I am supplying the removal information and the disassembly information for the rack.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate and I will continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks Todd. I was really hoping for infiniti specific experience. I believe all of the g37 made have these solenoids and the racks go bad often. I would suspect that infiniti only uses Infiniti parts and they are new racks with the part pre attached.Both old and new racks are out of the car so I believe this is a matter of not having the right tool. I suspect I'm going to need to buy some cheap wrenches and grind the heck out of them yo make them thin!Thanks
Brian