Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My cooling fans are not turning on fans are good I just

Customer Question

My cooling fans are not turning on fans are good I just replaced them Looking for a fuse or relay 2006 G35 Coupe
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 165k miles was running fine and then started over heating I checked and one fan was not working so I replaced the dual fan unit
JA: Are you fixing your G35 Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, my self I replaced the dual cooling fans manually checked that both fans in teh unit work when I run the car it over heats and the fans do not come on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just need to know where the relay and fuses are for that car
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question,

The fans are controlled by the IPDM. Do you have a Volt meter to do a quick test? Would like to see if the fans are getting power. It's quicker to check that then to actually access the fuse in the IPDM. That is why I would like to check that..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
let me check that. What next if no pwer
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

What you want to do is turn the engine on and turn the AC on. This way we know that the command is being sent to turn the fans on. Then check for power at the fans. If no power is present, then we will need to access the IPDM which is located behind the battery. So the passenger side wiper cowl cover will need to be removed along with the plastic around the battery as well.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. I checked and there is no power to the fans. I started the can ran the ac and the car almost over heated but still no fans
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Ok.. So if you have no power at the fans with the engine running and AC on, then we will need to check fuses. Hang on while I get you the fuse location.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a Test light? We need to check main fusible links and fuses. If they are all good, then you have a bad IPDM.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do we need to test
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

Need to check fuses in the IPDM. Here is where it's located.. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/IPDM%20G35.jpg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay which ones?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 months ago.

You have two fusible links which is by the battery. Those we want to check first.. Getting locations..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 month ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please RATE me by clicking the STARS on top of the page. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay