Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

Drivers side hood hinge seems to be bent or out of

Customer Question
adjustment. That side of hte...
drivers side hood hinge seems to be bent or out of adjustment. That side of hte hood is several inches too high on hte rear drivers side.
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2004 g35x
JA: Are you fixing your G35x yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am looking for a solution. I started to try adjusting it, but it looks like the nut ios beneath the fender.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes...what's that go to do with a mechanical problem?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Infiniti
7/13/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as the phone calls are concerned they do cost more and I am not the one asking for or pushing for a call the website is.

can you send a picture of the hood?

Are you a working full time mechanic...I ask because your short description indicates you are the owner of Baltic investments.
Where do you want me to send the picture?

Yes I am a full time mechanic, the invest company is my side venture and needed that to verify for employment on the website, you can send the picture on here, should be able to click on the little paperclip

not seeing the paper clip

there should be that or a box that says attach files or wording that says that somewhere on there, there is about 20 different page variations so its hard to say where yours would be located

Did you have something in the engine bay and shut the hood on it?

I got the pics im going to look at my data base for some answers ill be right back

Here are a few blogs that talk about the known issue (but don't know how to fix it except by replacing the hinges):
https://g35driver.com/forums/interior-exterior/216502-another-hood-hinge-bending-problem-2.html
http://www.6mt.net/forum/g35-sedan-2003-06/22903-g35-hood-hinges.html

Thats just a bad engineering design right there, These are the cheapest ones I could find, short of you bending them back to original state, which is going to be pretty hard to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2003-2007-FITS-INFINITI-G35-350Z-HOOD-HINGE-LH-RH-SIDE-NI1236140-NI1236141-/332161920905?fits=Model%3AG35&hash=item4d5664af89:g:SsAAAOSwzgBY1kiH&vxp=mtr

I can find the parts myself ...but how do I mount them? it looks like they are bolted on beneath the fenders. I'm not comfortable removing fenders and trying to put them back on.
Never mind, I found the procedure myself online.
As I suspected, I have to remove the fenders, which is what I was trying to avoid.

cool good luck with the repairs

Looks like this is a wasted effort. I'm going to just have to take it to the dealer I suspect.

would you like for me to put in for a refund?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician