sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have 2008 M4, it is using oil. As in empty between 3k oil

Customer Question

I have 2008 M4, it is using oil. As in empty between 3k oil changes, got in today and soumds like bolts are rattling in the engine. My husband checked it and the oil doesn't show on the stick it's so low. This car runs perfect otherperfect otherwise. This worries me, I have owned Infiniti and nissan products for 30 years. I don't want to blow an engine, have read on other forums engines have been blown with 70,000 miles. Mine has has 90k.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It just started when I cranked it.
JA: Are you fixing your M4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It had no oil in it and none on the ground where it would have leaked
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Put in 4 quarts and it's clicking but no where near as loud as it was.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the oil has been continually allowed to run that low and there is now a rattling noise in the engine then there is a good chance there is damage. Any lubricated part can be damaged but rod bearings would be most easily damaged.

Can you top off the oil and see if the noise goes away. If not, can you upload a recording?