john aka eautp
john aka eautp, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years ase certified
6149662

I have a g37. the check engine light was on when it started,

Customer Question

i have a g37. the check engine light was on when it started, goes off for a few seconds and then comes back on and stays on. engine will not rev above 1500rpm. ideas?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What year is your G37?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your G37 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just let it warm up. also checked to make sure the fuel cap is on an it has half a tank
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  john aka eautp replied 5 months ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure