Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I took my 2008 G37 coupe into the deal for a routine oil

Customer Question

I took my 2008 G37 coupe into the deal for a routine oil change. They gave me a big doom and gloom story about a head gasket that is leaking. They recommended I sell the car ASAP. Also the rack and pinion unit is leaking a bit too. I took it to an independent nissan mechanic, and he showed me what's going on....just seeping a bit of coolant exterior only I think. He recomended a coolant system stop leak tablet (barz leak). The dealer, didn't say that there was coolant in the oil when they drained it.
JA: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?
Customer: I don't believe the hoses have been replaced...I bought the car used about 5 years ago. The coolant was flushed and replaced last year I think...I have not tested it. The seepage is from the head gasket area on both sides....I have heard good, and bad about stop leak products...and am a little wary of using them.
JA: What is the model of your '08 Infiniti?
Customer: G37 coupe
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing has been done to it yet. I know quite a bit about cars...but an engine tear down is too much for me..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also,
The car is getting hard to fill with gas...the pump keeps switching off...I've seen a TSB to install a shield or something in the gas tank to prevent this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The car has 133,000 miles...may be relevant..
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

I would recommend BlueDevil Pour-N-Go Head Gasket Sealer - 16 Ounce (00209) for an external headgasket leak as it does work great

On the fueling issue, there is a service bulletin to install a cut bracket cover at the vent valve in the tank. I have attached the bulletin which gives the directions and part number for the cut bracket cover.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.