Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

No spark and battery light a/t oiltemp light and brake light

Customer Question

no spark and battery light a/t oiltemp light and brake light are flashing when key is on including cranking replaced distributor because had no spark and cam sensor code now no codes and above problem
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: the battery is weak but i chaerged it with my big charger and had it hooked up while testing i had plenty of voltage i think it might br a security thing how do you resest it
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 00 qx4
JA: Are you fixing your QX4 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am a technician it came to me with a dead batt and no start checked for fire and had none and had a cam sensor code replaced distributor and charged batt still no spark and no codes but lights are flashing on dash like security is tripped but security light is not on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you remove the distributor cap and turn over the engine, does the rotor turn?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that was one of the first things i checked and the gear on distributor looked good and so did cam gear the lights flashing on dash make me think security how do you reset the security
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

It is normal for that light to flash. Do you happen to know if you have a After Market Alarm or remote start in the truck?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
cant afford to pay more for phone call the security light flashes til i turn key on then it goes out and then the battery a/t oil temp and brake light flash on and off even while cranking and i still have no fire and no codes when i scan it
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Lets check the factory security system.

If you close all the doors and hood. And you lock the truck, does the security light turn solid for 10 to 20 seconds then flash?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i dont know its at the shop and i am at home whats the procedure to reset the security i will try that tomorrow when i go back to the shop i have tried swapping ign relays out and have checked all fuses i have power to the transistor on distributor until i crank then it goes away according to my helper
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its all original no aftermarket alarm or anything
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Did you happen to look under the drivers dash to see if there was a after market alarm installed? There is not many things that would kill spark.

The factory alarm would not allow the engine to turn over if active. The immobilizer system if active, the engine would turn over and have spark, but have no injector pulse.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The other thing I would do is a Ecm Terminal Reference check to see if something seems out of place.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Also, has the timing belt been checked to see if maybe it jumped time?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no i didnt pull the covers and check the belt but that wouldnt give me no fire the distributor turns fine and it really doesnt sound like its jumped time could i have a bad crank sensor and not be getting a code for it and how do i reset the security i would like to try that too
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you jump 2 teeth, you can get no spark

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
really and that wouldnt really sound out of time cranking wise either and wouldnt give me a code either i will check that i would have figured if it was getting a crank signal and the distributor was turning ok it would still give you spark it may not be at the right time but you would still get spark
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Nope.. It would never sound out of time. Try putting the engine on TDC and see if the distributor rotor is pointing to number one on the cap, or see if it's off.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
two teeth will be a significant difference in rotor position right i will probably pull the cover and check the belt anyway those have an upper cover i can pull to check the cams marks doesnt it
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Yeah, I would pull the cover just to make sure I know I am at TDC and check all the timing marks. But yeah.. You would never thing it's timing. The Crank Sensor Reference is what see's that the timing is off between the Cam and Crank sensors signal. That is why you get no spark

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i did notice when cranking if i held the throttle open i heard a sound that sounded like open valve out of time sound
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I guess you will have to see tomorrow. Let me know how you make out..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you that was very informative and would have ate my lunch if thats it i will let you know tomorrow if thats it thank you i hate having one be something out of the ordinary and beat on my head like this
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I hear ya... Talk to you tomorrow

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hey jay its me with the infiniti again i rolled the motor over to #1 tdc according to my piston and timing mark and my distributor was pointing right at #1 on my cap so i tried a crank senor no luck still no fire i got another distributor coming for tomorrow maybe i got a bad one from the parts house i didnt pull the timing covers but everything lined up so perfectly between the timing mark on crank and piston location i pulled the plug to check and where the distributor was pointing i have a hard time thinking the belt is off any other ideas how do you reset the security on that 00 qx4
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Make sure your not 180 out when you check for TDC.

Yeah. If you got the distributor after market, it is fairly common to get one that does not work. That is why I always suggest the dealer when it comes to electrical parts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i just found some simple test procedures to checkmy wiring and signals that i can do with my power probe i think my new one even reads hertz so i can check it all out and be sure and its not 180 i am positive on that its got to be that distributor or loss of power or ground or pcm
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Guess we will find out when you change again. Distributor is likely if the timing is all good.