Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The engine has a consistent rattle that just started - it…

Customer Question
The engine has...

The engine has a consistent rattle that just started - it has 68k mi on it. The rattle sounds almost like too much lash on a pushrod on an old chevy

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

About a week or so, seems to have gotten more noticable

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?

2013 jx 35

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your JX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I opened the hood briefly but didn't try to do anything. I do wrench some on chevys and Harleys but once I saw all thos wires, well....:)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Infiniti
1/4/2017
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How loud is this rattle? Do you hear it inside the car or only when outside of it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its actually very clear from inside the car, it's not the kind of rattle that seems like something is falling off. it's definitely in tune with the engine speed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's also noticeable outside
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
car runs fine so I don't think its piston slap or a blown valve

Do you think you can a video of the noise so I can hear it?

I can keep this question open till you can provide that. I would like to try to hear the noise you are hearing so I can determine of direction of repair.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not near the car now though. will be able to later

That would be fine.. I will be online later this evening around 7 pm till 10 or 11 pm.. ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok will get it to you ASAP, and thanks!

ok.. your welcome

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not letting me upload video from my iphone

Try uploading it You Tube, then share the link..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://youtu.be/wOjqK7nvA78

That noise as you get towards where the oil fill cap is. Is that the noise you are really hearing? The whining type noise?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That whining cannot be heard in the car but yes that too.The original noise is like a claterring metal sound with the rpms.

That whining noise is the electronic power Steering pump. That is noisy. So that noise is actually normal.

Then you have injectors that tick which could be the other noise you are hearing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, but the noise wasn't noticeable before. This just started. Im not the only one to notice

The electronic power steering pump, allot of customers complain about the noise it makes. When you are outside the car, this thing makes allot of noise. But once you are inside, you really don't hear any of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see. Both my wife and i notice noise while driving with closed windows that we didn't hear a week ago. Just seems strange that it would just become noticeable now.

How long have you owned the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1.5 yrs and i know for a fact it didnt sound like that 2 weeks ago. I consider myself a car hobbyist but not on these kind

Did you have the dealer look at it yet? You do have 5 years or 60k mile bumper to bumper warranty

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dealer agreed it was making a noise but it was late Saturday and they were closing so we didn't solve anything. I think im covered to like 70k or something

70k is Powertrain. or 6 years

If the dealer looked at it and agree'd is was not normal, then I would make arrangements with the dealer to leave the car so they can properly check it for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks, ***** ***** it would end up in something simple. Ok will do; thanks for the help

I would love it to be something simple. Noises can be tricky. So for this particular noise, it would probably be better to diagnose if there is a issue in person. The video I would say it sounds normal. But in person I am sure it sounds different.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea if it was my old chevy, i wouldnt even think twice, thats what the sound reminds me of. Like a cam issue. But i know these motors are much different. Thanks again!

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!