Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Won't start. Battery is new and won't start even with

Customer Question

Won't start. Battery is new and won't start even with jumping with another car.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Clean and tight No lights or anything when car door is opened
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 98 i30
JA: Are you fixing your I30 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had new ignition switch installed last month Kid home from college and won't start today Started one time when jumped
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The key will not unlock the door. Old key , wore don't. Only have the one key here. Does the 98 have a chip in the key?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

to have no power at all then it must be a poor connection on the high power side

I'd check over the state of the high power (25A+) fuses in the underhood fusebox check for cracks and corroded sockets and then do the same for the ECU and ignition relays

ideally use a voltmeter to try and confirm if you have 12V going to these fuses with the ignition on

and yes there's a chip inside the key that is picked up by the antenna inside the column to disable the security

but from your description I don't think its a security issue

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you