Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

The brake bulb warning light cone on when I put on brakes. I

Customer Question
have checked the bulbs and...
The brake bulb warning light cone on when I put on brakes. I have checked the bulbs and none are burned out
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? Does the light stay on steady or is it intermittent?
Customer: I have checked the fluid. The light only come on when iapply the brakes
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 2000 Q45
JA: Are you fixing your Q45 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I have checked the sockets switch checked the rear deck lights
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Infiniti
11/18/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. Just to clarify what bulb this is ,does it say brakes or bulb warning light

When all 3 of the brake lights remain on, even with the ignition off, this is most commonly a problem with the Stop Lamp switch, located at the top of the brake pedal arm. (I think the answer you quoted above was for the actual "brake" light on the dash representing a brake system problem). Most commonly here, the internal "plunger" of the switch gets stuck, or broken, in the "on" position. Inspect the electrical connector to the switch for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the mounting bracket and contact point for any defects. If the visual inspection checks ok, unplug the electrical connector from the switch. The brake lights should now be off. If this is the case, replacing the switch will solve the problem.

Just the one to the right. If you click "view full image" on the image above, you'll get a pop-up window with a close-up view of the correct switch.

If you unplug the electrical connector and the lights go off, the switch is the culprit. The switch is readily available at any local parts store (should be around $14). No speial tricks or tools, simply squeeze the connector and pull, then unscrew the switch from the bracket. Yes. You should always disconnect the battery when replacing electrical items. Just to avoid any accidental shorts. Better safe than sorry! Hope this helps your problem and if you require further help I;ll be happy to do so.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician