Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

Have a 06 infinity g35 I have no spark?

have a 06 infinity g35 I have no spark?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im still waiting since 8am
8/4/2016
Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic

Hi there,

I am sorry you have had to wait so long, I hadn't seen your post before this.

Do you happen to know if you have any codes stored?
Is the check engine light coming on when you turn the key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the engine ligth comes on and when i try to star it the light blinks no codes

Ok

Do you have a test light?

Ok,

First thing to do is see if there is power out at the coils. Check and see if there is power with the key on.

Also, is the car a coupe or sedan?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
coupe i have power and ground at all coils when key on

Ok

Its the computers job to ground the coils to send signal and make them fire. Since the check engine light is flashing I suspect you have an issue with the ecm relay in the IPDM. The large fuse and relay box under the hood. Try swapping the fog light relay with the ecm relay and see if the car will start.

I have to check and see if I have a diagram for the IPDM. They didn't provide one for every car in the manual. Give me a few minutes to see what I can come up with.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you send me a picture to see the location of the relays

I am trying to locate the diagram right now. Please stand by.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks

Ok, here is a diagram of the IPDM terminal arrangement. I highlighted the 2 you should swap. The IPDM is mounted in the passenger side rear corner of the engine room.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did this an no luck car still have no spark

That being the case I would assume the ecm itself is the problem.

It would store codes for the cam and crank sensors if they were a problem. Unless you recently had the flywheel off for some reason I think you have a bad computer happening here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have no codes and the car just started like it had a misfire and a little later after the car did not start the customer already put a crank sensor cam sensor coil fuel pump and no luck

Well, the check engine light flashing has to be something going on with the computer if it's not the power supply to the computer causing it. Might want to try swapping the ignition relay to be sure, but sounds like the ecm is bad. I hate to tell you they are bad as much as the next guy, lol. But if it's not the ecm relay that really seems like the next step here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
swap the ignition relay and if thats not the problem the ecu is

In my opinion yes, and the thing is the ecm has to be reprogrammed for the keys.

But you should still get spark. Make sure the security light isn't on solid while you are cranking this. If it is, then it's a security issue, but the blinking check engine light seems like the ecm is the problem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought they said if the number Match the computer from the junk yard it don't need to be program

Negative, you would have to have all the keys and the nats transponder as well. The chip in the key holds the programming and sends it to the ecm so it will not disable the fuel injectors.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but if I get one from junk yard I will have spark and then I can have someone program the computer correct?

Yes, the immobilizer only turns off the fuel injection, not spark, so you should know right away if the computer is causing the lack of spark.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok will keep u posted tomorrow thanks for now..

You're very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a chance to work on the car again and I charged the battery but when I try to start the car it will crank but I notice smoke coming out by the driver side and there's a ground wire that goes from the body to the head of the engine

I would clean up that ground wire. Especially if its a large ground. Hadn't seen a bad ground cause this with this model, but it could be making the check engine light flash.

That's not one I would consider a major ground, but they all count. I can't see that as the smoking gun though to be honest.

The flashing check engine light really bothers me. Make sure the main ground from the battery isn't broken

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is not flashing anymore but still no spark..

Security light is out with the key on?

Ok

still no codes?

If not, try unplugging the bank 1 cam sensor and see if you get any spark.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no spark I unplugged both cams and nothing

Still thinking you have an issue with the computer on this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which is the signal cable in the computer to see if there signal coming out I couldn't get my hands in a computer today I really want to be sure it needs one

Sorry, I am not sure what you are asking me?

Signal cable? Do you mean wire?
and signal for what? lol

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wire to fire up the coils..

The odd color on each coil is the signal wire. all will have the same color power wire, same color ground wire, then there are 6 different color wires, those are the signal wires.

ground comes from the computer to trigger the coil and make it fire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but at the computer which is the wire I can check to see if is ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do I have to have at this wires when cranking the car?

you should see them go to ground.

However the real method of testing is checking resistance on each wire to make sure they aren't broken

Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic