Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

Driver's side rear door latch is disconnected, can't open

Customer Question
the door JA: What is the...
driver's side rear door latch is disconnected, can't open the door
JA: What is the model/year of your Infiniti?
Customer: 98 QX4
JA: What year is your QX4?
Customer: 98 QX4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, tried to take door apart from the inside back seat but wasn't able to
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: everything else works great, door locks etc
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Infiniti
7/24/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're unable to open the door from either of the handles ten odds are the latch has failed and will need to be replaced. If you lost control from each handle at separate times and if the handles move with no resistance now then a linkage issue is likely.

If you're unable to get it to open with the inside or outside handle then the only way to get it open will be to remove the door panel while the door is closed. This is obviously inconvenient but usually possible, but in some cases the door panel does need to be sacrificed to get to the latch. Either way, you'll need to get the panel out of the way to inspect the linkage to the latch and try to open it by manually moving the latch release lever. If the linkage is intact and moving with the handles then the latch is going to need to be replaced.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician