Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti FX37 not starting, replaced MAF-Sensors,

Customer Question

Hi,Infiniti FX37 not starting, replaced MAF-Sensors, Camshaft-Sensors and timing chain. Still no result :(Had a topic with Jay about this before, but medical conditions came in between.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im Dave. From the looks of it in the pics the first one, it seems the mark is a tooth off.

Im actually working on a nissan engine at my shop its a 4.0 but very similar. those marks have to be dead on.

is the reason you replaced the chain because of the no start? or did you replace it and now it wont start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,We replaced the chain because of the no start, we suspected a stretched chain because there was a diffirence on the marks.It all started with not being able to revv over 3500rpm and errors on the camshaft-sensors, so I replaced these first. Engine starting was very difficult, but when it started, I was able to drive all day, but limited to 3500rpm. After a night, so cold engine, starting was very very difficult and after a few days I gave up :)

ok. when you did get it started were you still getting camshaft sensor errors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, those errors were gone. But starting the engine was difficult. Now it starts but stops after 1-2 seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, we connected a scope to the sensors and (I simulated it on the picture in the service manual) we had a 'strange' reading.

did vyou happen to replace the tensioner as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, we didn't. You can see the tensioner a little on the bottom of the pic. Is it out too far? There is a diffirence after we replaced the chain, before that it was out a little further (picture nr 2)

it actually looks ok, but its always a good practice to replace those, also have you replaced the engine oil also? reason i ask as you probably know is those tensioners work off of oil pressure. anyway, lets forget about the timing for now. unplug the maf and try to start it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine is still open. I want to be sure first the chain is placed OK. Do you have pictures/schemes on how the marks/colors should be placed when the engine is dead-center? Engine oil is replaced too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what year is that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a 2008, September, fx37. 159.000km (not miles)

i believe the marks are correct, maybe a tiny bit off, if you can get them closer then do it, if not let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to mention. Before the starting and 3500rpm-limit started, a few weeks before there was, it sounded like, a ticking/rattling sound. The speed of the sound was in sync with the rpm.Also, with a nissan computer, I could find error-code C1A14

ahhh, the ole timing chain rattle due to failing tensioner, which usually is from not changing the oil at proper intervals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought it 2nd-hand, rattling started after heavy-maintenance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but with the rattling, driving was normal :)

normal until now.... the issue gets worse with time. have you replaced the camshaft vvt sprockets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, these parts were replaced:- MAF-sensors
- Timing Chain
- Camshaft Position Sensor (L+R)

you may have a sludge problem that is restricting flow of oil to the vvt sprockets and timing chain tensioner. have you removed the valve covers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looked clean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But why was I able to drive whole day, when I was able to start the engine. It seems it was running fine, except the 3500rpm limit, when the engine was warm

vehicles are good one day, the next not so much especially with an increasingly potential problem. the 3500 rpm limit is due to a problem with the maf sensor as i recall. if the intake sprockets, one or both loose pressure they will oscillate and just enough to not let the vehicle start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how to check this? The chain we replaced was stretched a little, can this be causing this or not possible?Actually, the Nissan-Dealer told me the engine is toast, the wanted to replace it for 17.000 €
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put both sides on 1 picture. Is this OK or not?

its a bit off but not enough to keep the engine from starting

i actually dont like the position of the dots/dashes on the exhaust cams

pull the main chain, tensioner, guides off. then pull the secondary chains off. lets start this from dead scratch. its a bit labor intensive, but we need to make sure everything is lined up correctly

that also will include removing the cam sprockets

i have to get my lazy butt to my shop, i will check back with you in a little while. one question before you do all of this. did you happen to do a compression test on all cylinders?

any thoughts about the procedure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We'll check tomorrow, I hope to get some result. We didn't touch/check the secondary chains though

ok. just do a compression test and let me know the results and we'll go from there. those secondary marks look very suspicious

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll keep you posted.Is this a common problem with this engine?

yes, very common. I have a frontier 4.0 in here with the same kind of issues. all the intake valves were bent on the heads. had to buy rebuilt heads. the timing chain jumped due to the plastic guides breaking apart and the tensioner letting loose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expensive repair?

oh yea. rebuilt heads 650.00, timing chain kit 250.00 new vvt sprockets 900.00. labor 1600.00 plus gasket kit, fluids, filters etc.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's cheap. Here in Belgium it costs 3-4 times that price

thats my shops price... im very [email protected] 55.00 hour, at a dealer it would probably cost 5000.00

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We'll be doing it all during the weekend. Keep you updated

just make sure you do a compression test first, so you know if there is any valve damage or not

any luck this weekend?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just finished. Compression is OK. What's next? Assemble the engine and try start?

yes sir

you're not gonna get the cam marks dead on but get them close as humanly possible. dont forget to manually turn the crank a few times once the chains are on and the tensioners are released.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Keep you updated

any update?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quite busy at work, will know more later today. Will try to get the cam-marks as good as possible.What we also found out, when trying to start, is that all goes well, we have fuel-pressure, engine cranks but there's no ignition after 1-2 seconds (2 sparks and that's it). Just like there is something telling to stop the ignition.

I am pretty the only thing that would do that is a crank position sensor or a cam position sensor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, and they are also replaced

did you replace the vvt sprockets? the cam timing(vvt sprockets) unfortunately will do this too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, these were nog replaced. But they look perfect

did you have them off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

were the locating pins ok? did they seem loose or not straight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking perfect actually

so you've tried to start it since this past weekends work? or the spark situation was before that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before. Will try to start later today, wanted your opinion about that :-)

see what she does today and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 is spot on, 2 an 3 off

you should have the crankshaft spot on and then check the cams