Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

1999 Infiniti 45T. Key won't come out of ignition. Car

Customer Question

1999 Infiniti 45T. Key won't come out of ignition. Car starts, tried moving tires while running etc. Key won't come out. Car stars fine
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Push the head of the key in hard with pliers pump the brake and pull on the key it should come out let me know.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Try disconnecting the battery to see if it comes out if not tap th head of the key with a hammer a good whack should release the tumblers and the key should come out let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not comfortable hitting key with a hammer a good whack while in ignition . Dont want to replace ignition too!
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Trust me you won't thats what we do at the dealer don't beat it up just a good tap on the head of the key what happens is the tumblers get jammed and this frees them up.Its your call you will be fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took to shop & was not tumblers, was only worn key. Glad I did not whack key in ignition with hammer as you suggested. I do however thank you for your availability spreed & suggestions
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem just so you on a a worn key will affect the tumblers and can damage them so keep an eye on the ignition switch to see if it's ever starts binding glad to help.