Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

My 1997 infinity qx4 just stopped running while i was

Customer Question

my 1997 infinity qx4 just stopped running while i was driving, Now it turns over but wont start. Has Gas and battery is good.
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My 1997 infinity qx4 stopped running and has gas /oil/ good battery. Turns over but won't start? Doesn't even fire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's taking so long?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. First thing is checking any codes that are stored. Do you have an OBD II type scanner, I would like to know if any codes are set and what they are. Could be cam sensor. but checking codes can verify some things, also, get a spark plug tester, pull one spark plug off, and put the tester in the end of the spark plug wire. Ground the tester and see if it sparks when cranking. I think you lost spark, but lets check codes first if possible. Let me know what you find there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have a scanner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How hard is it to change cam sensor?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, do you have a spark tester? In my opinion a scanner is one thing your going to need. That is the only way you can read the codes in this 97 model? Call your local auto parts store, and see if you can borrow one , usually they will have some tools for loan. then you get your $ back when you bring it back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will check plugs
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay we pulled a plug off and turned over with it touching metal. No spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rotor doesn't turn when cap is off
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
The rotor does not spin at all when you crank the engine?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Does it sound like it cranks over really fast? or does it sound like it cranks over normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, doesn't turn at all, turns over normal maybe a little fast?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, If the rotor isn't spinning, I believe your timing belt has broken or stripped. This has a rubber timing belt. You could try to replace the belt, but this engine is an interference engine meaning if the belt breaks, the pistons can contact the valve and bend them, If it breaks at very low rpm, it's possible that you may get lucky, I hate to be the bearer of bad news on that, but I needed to tell you that as a worst case scenario. If you pull the front engine cover off, I believe you will find the belt stripped or broken. it's a 5 hour job by the book for this v6 engine to replace the belt , so it's not a real easy one to get to. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was only going about 30 mph and pulled over right away. I think it's the timing belt as well. Over 200k miles and not replaced. What will happen if the valves are bent and can they be replaced?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

In that case, I am about 95% sure they are bent. and If the valves are bent, then you will have to have the cylinder heads rebuilt. No way around that. and It will not run until they are fixed. You could also just replace the engine with a used one from a salvage yard. Those are really your only two options if the valves are bent.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

The engine will keep spinning because of the torque converter is full and will rotate the crankshaft a few times even after the engine had quit running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, so im taking it to a pretty reputable shop and they gave an estimate around 3-$400 with a new water pump as well. They didn't say anything about the valves will they know if there bent by changing the belt? Or am I just taking a risk and feeding an empty pit..
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I would tell them that it cut off while driving, then they may bore scope the valves, or they can pull the valve cover and see a valve stuck down lower than the others, that means it's bent. I wouldn't just tell them to put a belt on it without checking the valves, or you will be throwing your money away on a new belt if the valves are indeed bent.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it run with valves bent, engine was in good shape, oil changed every 2000 miles. What should a ball park $ figure be to replace valves if bent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, he was only doing about 20 mph.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I can't be sure the valves are bent. But if the belt broke while the vehicle was in motion and not idling, I feel fairly strongly that they are. Again, you would need to pull the valve covers and look, or you can try to replace the belt, and it may run on 5 cylinders if just 1 or 2 of the valves are bent. Your probably looking at 1500$ or more to fix it depending on if indeed they are bent and how many are bent.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What did you find out about the Valves?