Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a G37 convertible. When I close or open the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a G37 convertible. When I close or open the convertible top, the cycle seems to complete but the trunk isn't latching and the error msg "trunk open" is appearing.
JA: Has the battery died recently?
Customer: I can easily push the trunk to latch with no problem by hand. I don't know about battery, I just bought the car from a dealer today.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Don't know enough about what possible causes are to know if I could fix myself.
JA: Is there anything else the Infiniti Mechanic should be aware of about your Infiniti?
Customer: Nope, that's all that's happening
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Pop open the trunk and while it's open, see if the latch on the trunk lid is loose and let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, checking
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing loose regarding the latch
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You checked the trunk latch it on the trunk lid? It seems tight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok then. Does the roof operate? Do not operate the roof with the vehicle not running. Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can easily just press on the trunk and latch it tight after opening or closing the roof, but just doesn't latch all the way during the automated process
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roof operates fine, just trunk isn't latching at the end
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You mean after you close it, it does not motorize it's self to complete the close?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trunk lid closes, but doesn't completely latch at end of the process
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The trunk latch is motorized. It should latch, then the motor kick in and draw it down a tight. If the latch is not doing that, you may have a motorized latch issue causing your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood, don't think that's the issue because, I just used the trunk lid switch on the dash to pop it open and check the latch. When I just closed it, I could hear the automation inside that latched it tight.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you close the trunk you should see it lower when the latch motor closes it. Do you see that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. Just seems that's not happening at the end of the top open or close process
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

So it does appear to be a trunk latch motor issue if you don't see if lower tight after closing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see it lower tight if I manually close it, but not at end of roof top open or close process
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you close it with force, it looks like it's closed tight. But if the latch motor does not complete it's cycle, you can get a trunk open warning like you are getting.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your issue sounds like it's a electronic trunk latch issue since the trunk open switch is built into that latch.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For some reason, the latch motor process isn't completing its cycle. If I close it manually, with little pressure, I hear the motor complete its process and trunk is tight. The trunk open error that appears on the dash at end of the process disappears if I manually push it closed.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is a trunk latch issue. The trunk switch is part of that latch assembly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!