Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My infiniti 2011 fx 35 wont crank or start. Replaced

Customer Question

My infiniti 2011 fx 35 wont crank or start. Replaced battery. It overheatead the day before.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The engine does not turn over. The batter is one day old
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car overheated on Friday. I pulled over immediately and we added water. Everything was fine I drove about 10 miles and the car began making a rattling noise when I pressed on the accelerator. Within seconds my car would not accelerate. I got off the freeway and it stopped on me at the light. Have not been able to turn it back on.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the battery
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Infiniti Mechanic should know about your Infiniti?
Customer: Looked at the starter to rust and did not see any
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you get a signal click when you try to start the car? Also does the engine turn over and not start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After I press the ignition it makes a noise. Does not crank and does not turn over or start.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

What kind of noise does it make? Rapid clicking? Single Click?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No clicking type of noise. It sounds more like a loud vacuum cleaner or a blender. Or a loud hum.It sounds like it is struggling.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That could be from the starter. If you put a socket on the crank, can you turn the engine manually?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the crank?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you lower the bottom engine cover. It's the one big pulley that all 2 belts go on. Here is it's location.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/crank.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if thats the case what could be a solution?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well, first we need to see if the engine can be turned manually to ensure the engine is good. Other wise, if it doesn't, then you would be looking at a engine issue. If the engine spins freely, then the starter would need to be checked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will let you know once I try it.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. I will be here. Let me know..