Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

My gas gage shows that my gas is empty but when I try to

Customer Question

My gas gage shows that my gas is empty but when I try to fill it, the pump registers that it's full. Could there be something in my gas tank, like a rag that is blocking my attempts to fill my pump? I've tried several times.
JA: How has your mileage been lately? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 42k
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have service scheduled for Thurs - routine - but I'm wondering if I should take it in sooner. Like, is this a dangerous situation.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Infiniti Mechanic should know about your Infiniti?
Customer: Nope. I have reg maintenance. I'm due for oil & engine maintenance now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Welcome,

Its nothing dangerous other than running out of gas but the problem lies in what is called the "Fuel Evaporation" system and there are a few small solenoids and switches that are supposed to allow for the pressure when filling to be routed to a box to clean it and if its now working right, then the gas handle will "click off" early because the nozzle thinks its full. You will need to have them look at it when you take it in and they will know EXACTLY what you tell them and its not real expensive ti fix.

My goal is that you are pleased with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. You can still ask me questions for free after the rating.

If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.

Did you get my answer?