Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

We are having problems with the rear door. It does not open

Customer Question
Hi, we are having problems...
Hi, we are having problems with the rear door. It does not open after some water damage, not even manually. is there a fix that we could do ourselves for that?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Infiniti. The Infiniti Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: So the button for rear door auto open is not functioning and we can pry it open from the inside but we can get it to close using the button
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible, yes. Unless you have an estimate for how much the fix would be
JA: Is there anything else the Infiniti Mechanic should be aware of about your Infiniti?
Customer: The problem began when some fluid leaked in the trunk, we believe it may have tampered with the electric of the rear door. Otherwise the car is working perfectly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Infiniti
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What year and Model Infiniti is this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's 2011 infiniti fx35

This is most likely a door latch issue. These can be a bit of a pain to do. How handy are you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am pretty handy and have access to a variety of tools

Cool

What you will need to do is remove the inside door panel while the door is closed. Do you know how to do this?

This video will help you a little.

Normally when the door does not open from inside or out, if you follow the outside door handle cable to where it goes into the latch, the lever is what jams up which keeps it in limbo which won't allow the door to open on either side. Once you get the door panel off just reach into the door and try to manually operate this lever. The latch assembly will need to be replaced. It costs around 80 bucks. So you want to make sure you have that when you start digging into the job. Worst case is to take a screw driver and hammer to pry away the plastic cover of the latch to get to the mechanics of it to manually operate the latch to open the door. Once you have the door open, you can then replace the latch.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had looked at the latch earlier,and it doesn't seem to be damaged. Is there an electrical fix to the problem?

Visually it won't look bad. The lower outside door handle level is what sticks. It's not a electrical issue. The electrical part is only for the lock and unlock feature of the latch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even when we try the button, no sound comes from the door. Usually there is beeping and we can hear the latch but there is no sign the that button is functioning
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is for the trunk door, not the passenger doors

This is a rear door. It doesn't have touch entry. Oh. This is the hatch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry if there was any confusion
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the automated door for the trunk of the car

Oh.. I was thinking this was a rear door. Ok. Try this and let me know if it starts to work. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then connect it and let me know if it works.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I will try now

I have seen rear latches and back door control units fail. Some times just disconnecting the battery can bring it back to operating conditions. Other wise, both the rear back door control unit and the latch needs to be replaced.

Also see if you can manually lift the hatch also when trying to manually open it. If it does not stay up on it's own it will need hatch stays.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The hatch does stay up and the auto close does work. Just cannot get it to open at all unless we pry it open from the inside

Let me know if the battery disconnected for 15 mins works.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is the control unit for the hatch door?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would it maybe work if we reset it?

Hold on, if I remember right, it's mounted on the door it's self. Hang on. Let me double check

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It did not work. It beeped once but stopped and now is not responding again.

If it beeped once, that means the reset sort of worked. That tells me you will need the latch and control unit most likely. But it's best to have it diagnosed to verify.

Do you have any more questions on this?

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician