Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How do I restore normal [power steering feel after replacing

Customer Question

How do I restore normal [power steering feel after replacing the power steering pump on my 1999 Infiniti Q45t?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI, Can you give some detail as to what you are experiencing with the power steering right now after replacing the pump - whining, groaning, no power steering at low speeds, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the power steering pump today on my Infiniti Q45; 1999 model year. All is operating, but the steering is heavy/stiff. Is there a bleed process for the pump to remove air in the system?
Country: United States
Make: Infiniti
Model: Q45T
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.1 litreAlready Tried:
New pump, fresh fluid test, drive around parking area. Steering is not quite responsive, it feels "heavy."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
low steering response at low speed of vehicle.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,here is the procedure: 1999 Infiniti Q45t V8-4130cc 4.1L DOHC MFI (VH41)Save Article BLEEDING HYDRAULIC SYSTEM1. Raise front end of vehicle until wheels clear ground.2. Add fluid into oil tank to specified level. Meanwhile, quickly turn steering wheel fully to right and left and lightly touch steering stoppers. Repeat steering wheel operation until fluid level no longer decreases.3. Start engine. Repeat step 2 above.- Incomplete air bleeding will cause the following to occur. When this happens, bleed air again.a. Generation of air bubbles in reservoir tankb. Generation of clicking noise in oil pumpc. Excessive buzzing in oil pumpFluid noise may occur in the valve or oil pump. This is common when the vehicle is stationary or while turning the steering wheel slowly. This does not affect performance or durability of the system. If it is still feeling sluggish response, then we have another issue, restriction in the system, faulty rack and pinion, or possibly defective new pump Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.