Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

Infiniti M35: I have a 07 m35 that yesterday popped the rad...

Customer Question
I have a 07 m35...
I have a 07 m35 that yesterday popped the rad... so i put a new rad on it and it still ran hot, so i replaced the thermostat ran it for 45 min at idel and it did good. Then drove it for about 30 miles and it did good. well this morning drove it 5 miles and it started to overheat again... what could this be????
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Infiniti
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
//////////
4/1/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Hello Chris, Eddie here, If you put a new radiator in it and thermostat, then likely it's either going to be the water pump itself, or a headgasket unfortunately. Does the radiator cap smell like fuel/combustion, at all? Pull the dipstick out and smell it, that is the smell of coolant when you blow a headgasket, but it takes a little while for it to smell that way. I would recommend a block test. this is a test where a test liquid is used to pull coolant vapors into the test liquid, if the liquid changes color, (typically blue or green to yellow) that indicates hydrocarbons (fuel vapors) in the coolant. Unless some odd problem happened with the water pump. Check that out and let me know what you find.
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. Since you did a Radiator and Thermostat, the issue is very likely that the coolant system was not bleed properly. When bleeding the coolant system after this type of work it could take up to a hour of bleeding to get the air out. Let me explain how to bleed the coolant system for you since it is tricky to do on these cars. To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fill%20rad.jpg https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fill%20Rad%202.jpg https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fill%20rad%20mona%27s%20car%20bleed%20coolant.jpg If you can't get a coolant bucket, you can use a funnel the same way or cut a bottle to fit the radiator neck to act like a coolant bucket. You just may need to pinch off the over flow bottle hose. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fill%20Rad%20Home%20Job%20Funnel.jpg Head gaskets never go on these engines and water pumps never really go either. So I highly doubt those are your issue. Let me know if you have any more questions on this. If not, and you are satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician