Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Slip light and all the lights on the dashboard came on then

Customer Question

Slip light and all the lights on the dashboard came on then the car lost acceleration then the car just shut off. It's a 2003 infinity G 35 sedan
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car won't run it starts up for about five minutes then cuts off I change the battery and it still not working
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Infiniti Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm about to change the alternator and see if that's the problem
JA: Is there anything else the Infiniti Mechanic should be aware of about your Infiniti?
Customer: No just need to know if that's the problem the alternator
JA: Our top Infiniti Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Infiniti Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Infiniti Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Before the car shut off, did you have a Service Engine Soon light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did the car die like someone turned the car off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This is most commonly caused by a bad Cam sensor. I would recommend to have the car scanned to see if there is a Cam Sensor code stored, or in the Transmission system see if there is a Engine Speed Signal code. The Engine Speed signal code is caused by a Cam Sensor.

If you do find a Cam Sensor code or Engine Speed signal code stored, you want to replace the Cam Sensors with ones from the dealer. Do not use after market. After market sensors never work right and can cause all sorts of issues with out throwing codes. If they do throw codes, it can throw a intake timing code to make you think something is wrong with the timing chain when there isn't. This is why I am recommending to stay away from after market electrical parts.

Do you have any more questions on this?