Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

I have an '02 Q45. The 10A fuse keeps blowing out under the

Customer Question
passenger kick panel. It...
I have an '02 Q45. The 10A fuse keeps blowing out under the passenger kick panel. It only seems to happen when I turn right and accelerate. The car turns off and it won't start until after I replace the fuse. This happens constantly, I've gone through 6 fuses trying to figure out the issue.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Infiniti. The Infiniti Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked underneath for frayed or cut wires. I've also used a Car MD diagnostics tester. This gives me the code P550 to replace the power steering pressure sensor.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Infiniti Mechanic should know about your Infiniti?
Customer: Check engine light is on
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Infiniti Mechanic will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Infiniti Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Infiniti
3/8/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can tell me what the fuse number is ***** the fuel panel that is blowing I will look at the circuit for this fuse and see if I can help you determine the cause. Post back with this information and we can work from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron,Starting from front to back it's #7, 10A.

And what circuit stops working when it blows?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It won't start, the ignition. The key won't turn over the ignition. I change the fuse and it starts up until I turn right and accelerate again.

This fuse feed the transmission, I would start with inspecting the harness going to the transmission for any signs of for corrosion and damage. If the harness looks okay then try unplugging it and see if the fuse holds, if it them holds the the problem is likely internal in the tranmission.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I unplug it while the car is turned on?

Yes with the key on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron,I inspected the harness and it looks OK. I then unplugged it at the transmission plug. The car turned off but the fuse is still good. What should I check now?Thanks

If the fuse did not blow the the short is likely internal in the transmission and the next step would be to remove the pan and inspect the wiring for any short to ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron,I removed the transmission pan and inspected all wires but I didn't find any loose wires or harnesses. All wires appear to be in good condition.What do I check next?Thank you!

If the fuse is holding with the transmission unplugged then it is likely something shorted in the transmission. Are you able to disconnect the solenoids one at a time to try and narrow it down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The car turns off when I unplug the transmission, I'm assuming it's supposed to turn off, correct? But the fuse does not blow out.The selonoids are not easily accessible, is there anything else I can check without taking too many things apart?Thanks

Its normal for it turn off but that sure dose point to the short being in the transmission if the fuse holds. I would suspect you may have a shoted solenoid ot the wiring to it and there is no way to know for sure with out going in and checking them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'm going to attempt to check the selonoids, but I have questions. Do I turn on the car?What exactly am I going to be looking for?How am I going to know if the selonoid is bad?Thanks!

Your looking for either a shorted solenoid or a shorted circuit to them. The power circuit has to be shorted to ground if the fuse is blowing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question is how do I go about checking the solenoids? Do I need a voltmeter or other types of special tools?Thanks

The best way would be to disconnect them one at a time and see if the fuse holds.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician