Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

I talked to Jay on spark plugs. Jay told me to get the Bosch

Customer Question
Hi, this is Lori. I...
Hi, this is Lori. I talked to Jay on spark plugs. Jay told me to get the Bosch plugs out and put NGK plugs. Did that. Lost low beams. Still mis fire. Needed battery. Put in gold battery for g35. Still no low beams. Have mis fire on cylinder 4. Changed ignition coil. Still mis fire. No low beams. Did compression test. It was 12.5. All fuel injectors working. Only one mis firing is cylinder 4. Have engine torn down to fuel injectors. When we put in the battery, lost headlights, but have high beams. We thought maybe the module is bad.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Infiniti
3/7/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I don't see the previous question were we spoke on your account? Please give me some more details on your issue and what I said since I have nothing to reference.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Had cylinders 4 and 6 misfire. Put bosch plugs in . Took them out , put NGK's in . Battery was bad. Put in new battery. Now no low beams . Bad ignition coil on 4, replaced that. Alternator at 12.5 . Did compression test. It;s good . Still misfire on 4

Wow.. Ok...

Lets start with one thing at a time.

First with the car running and a volt meter on the battery you are only getting 12.5 volts?

Also, did you try swapping the coil from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2 to see if the misfire would follow the coil?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery is at 14. Compression test is 12.5 Fuel injectors spraying. No low beams
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Switched 4 & 6 it didn't change

When you do the compression test, are you disabling the fuel system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Son did it . I'm not sure
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No he didn't

Well first thing you need to do when you do a compression test it to disable the fuel system. Failure to do so would allow the fuel to enter the cylinder while doing the test, and since it can't be burned it washes out the cylinder walls, which lowers compression.

So this will need to be rechecked if the fuel system was not disabled.

To disable it, pull the IPDM out and pull the fuel pump fuse. While you have the IPDM out, check the low beam fuses to see if they are getting power when the head lights are turned on and see if those fuses are blown.

Do you know where the IPDM is located?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
checked fuses, they were ok.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now there is also no 3rd brake light

The 3rd brake lights do tend to go on these cars. So that is most likely why that is not working.

Do you have a test light?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the fuel injector test was 12.5 . I mixed it up. Compression was 120, why no lights?

If you have a Test light, and you turn the head lights on, does both sides of each low beam head light fuse have power?

Compression test needs to be redone since the fuel system was not disabled.

The 12.5 is what the injector ohms at?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After putting in a new battery, I lost my low beams and 3rd light Yes on the injector ohms
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We thought about changing all fuel injectors

3rd brake lights as I said are common on these cars. So that is most likely a bad 3rd brake light.

The head lights, we need to check to see if those fuses are getting power when the head lights are on. If they are then more advanced electrical tests need to be done to determined what is going on with the lights.

When you changed the battery, if you removed the battery terminals in the incorrect sequence and installed them in the incorrect sequence you can cause a voltage surge. The sequence to remove is Negative first, then Positive. When installing, is Positive First and then Negative.

I am technically limited to one topic per question. I am willing to help you with the head light issue, and the cylinder 4 misfire issue, but we need to work on one issue at a time. So which one do you want to start with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
mis fire
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The guy at Advanced Auto did our battery

Ok.. With this misfire issue. What I would like you to do is recheck the compression after pulling the fuel pump fuse and running the car out of gas.

You will need Noid lights as well to check your injector pulse. We need to see what the noid light is doing as far as injector pulse and compare it to cylinder 2 and 6 to see if 4 is flashing the same way. You want to check injector pulse while you still have the fuel system disabled. A noid light kit is around 20 bucks. Here is how it looks when you are checking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKILEvWvFc

I will hold this question open till you can properly check this. But you will need to return back to this question with the results. Please do not open a new question. Other wise you may get additional charges..

Ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Son isn't home now . he won't do nothing till tomorrow. Sorry about that.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Car is torn down to the fuel injectors.

That is not a problem. I can keep this question open till he can check it. You only need to return back to this question to return with the results.

Does that work for you? You can also speak with me if you feel you need to. That option is available through our Premium Service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get back to this question?

Your user name and password ***** have been emailed to you. So all you would need to do is log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back to this question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. Bye

Have a good night.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician