Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 infinity i30, no reverse and car moves forward in

Customer Question
1999 infinity i30, no...

1999 infinity i30, no reverse and car moves forward in nuetral, just serviced new fluid and new transmission filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Infiniti. The Infiniti Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

1999 infinity i30 transmission serviced yesterday plus new filter, now no reverse and car moves forward in nuetral

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If possible, yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
3/1/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This may sound odd, but your transmission has what they call a Forward clutch for the forward gears and a reverse clutch for the reverse gears. It sounds like the reverse clutch has either failed, or something in the forward clutch operation has broke, locking it's engagement which is why it wants to move forward in neutral. This is more likely due to a internal failure in the transmission. So I am just preparing you on what to expect. I would take this to a Trans shop since they specialize in transmission repairs to have this verified.

Do you have any more questions on this?

my wife bottomed out the car rupturing transmission pan, is it possible she bent an external linkage? where is the external linkage located?

Well the valve body could be damaged. Which can certainly affect transmission operation. I would have the transmission pan removed and inspect for damage. Then go from there. That will require a visual inspect to determine if that is your issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

please reply

I replied.. Do you have any more questions on this?