Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Where is the ECU ground wire in an infinity G35 located?

Customer Question
where is the ECU ground wire in an infinity G35 located?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
3/1/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

There is a ton of ground wires. What is your issue?

Hello Jay.. I finally got to actually get to ask you personally my question (took me 3 attempts).I have a no start condition. I have changed both cam sensors, crankshaft sensors, IPDM box, Fuel pump and 2 vacuum switch solenoids. I currently have a MAS on order and a knock sensor. I've changed all these after reading what other owners did in the same situation. Also, the ECU is not throwing any codes.I have cleaned and tighten all the grounds that i have been able to find. I have been advised that it could be the ground for my ECU (or one of the control units)Also, my security light comes OFF when the key is in the on position. Sometimes the car will start for like a second (sounds like 2 revolutions) and cuts off

Thank you for all that information. Glad you finally got to speak with me. Don't know why you had a hard time. I would like to know that after we determine direct on your car.

When you changed the Cam Sensors, is it because you had a code for them?

No i had no codes whatsoever. On one of the G35 forums, it was stated that the Cam and crank sensors can be bad without throwing any codes.

That is more common from after market sensors. Meaning sensors you buy from auto parts store. Do you have the old sensors? I can tell you if they are after market or not.

Let me know.

Basically, the car was working fine... just before i parked up one day going to work i felt it idling differently, the car trembled for a few seconds but it didn't cut out. When i tried starting to leave work.. Nothing.No i've never changed any sensors on my car until now. But i purchased the new ones directly from the manufacturer
Sorry, Yes i still have the old sensors

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM.jpg

If the sensors have this logo on them, They are OEM. Let me know if your old ones have this logo, I am sure the new ones don't.

I have a couple things we can try after you get back to me on this.

Just checked... All 3 have that symbol

If you did not have a CAM sensor code, I would want you to re-install them.

In the mean time, Lets try some things. First I take you are handy? If you are handy, try taking the air intake duct off and I want you to snap the throttle plate. Do not clean the throttle chamber. But do take note on how dirty it is as we may need to clean it later. After you snap the throttle plate, put the intake duct back on and see if it starts. Also take note if it felt stuck at all.

Let me know what happens.

take the new ones out and put the old ones back in? lol Ok, i will do that first thing in the morning (it's 10:55pm)I had cleaned the throttle body about 2 months before this happened. Not sure if that's an issue.When you say snap the throttle plate, do i use my finger and fully open it and let it go?I also tried starting it with the intake duck off (in case there was some sort of restriction) and i realised that the butterfly on opened (and closed quickly) when i switch the key from ON to OFF. It didn't open when it was held in the START position. Is this normal?
the butterfly opened* (and closed quickly)**

Yeah.. That is what I meant. After you cleaned it did you do a Idle Relearn?

Do you have a Code Reader?

I can't say that it was done properly as the steps are all timed. But i think it was done correctly as initially the idle was high when i fitted it back together. I have the "bluedriver" but that seems to only work if the car is running. I can get a Launch to borrow.

Sorry for the delay.. Site is having issues.

I will be online most of the day tomorrow if you want to touch base with me tomorrow after you get the original sensors back in.

Tomorrow then....I will also do the butterfly snap. should i get a code reader?

Ok..

If you could, that would be helpful

Jay, I've managed to swap all sensors back to the old ones. On examination, the new ones also have the logo shown earlier.I've snapped the butterfly in the throttle body although the return was not exactly a "snap.What's the next step?

code reader?

Sorry, i had a manic day. I was unable to pick up the code reader. I will have it dropped off tonight or early in the morning.

ok

Jay, good day. I was unable to get a scanner to use. However my friend who is a local Nissan mechanic came over and scanned the car. No Engine trouble codes came up. He suggested that the NATS may need reprogramming but after doing a NATS scan.. again, it was trouble free. He checked for an RPM reading and sensor readings (while continuously cranking the car)
He said everything seemed fined according to the diadnotics.What now?
diagnostics*

When you turn the key to the On position, is the security light ON solid by the clock?

It's out.. There is no light. I will do it again now to triple check

ok

I armed the system from outside.. waited for approximately 30 seconds for the light to start blinking. When i disarmed the system (opened the car using the keys) the light went out completely (not blinking anymore)

What is the status of the security light when the key is turned to the ON position? That is what I am asking. Is the light on or off?

It's off.

This is the cam sensor. We need to see if your cam sensors have this logo on them.

Please check and let me know..

that logo is present on the 2 cam sensors and the crank sensor, remember we check those a few days ago and you instructed me to put the old ones back in.

oh.. ok...

Can you give me some history on the cars issue? Like how long ago this started, and how did it first develop?

The car has been maintained as per Nissan recommendations, It is serviced (oil/filters/plugs) every 3 months irrespective of usage/Mileage. In short i spare no expense. The car has been trouble free throughout.One day when i was driving into the parking lot, the car idled heavily (as though it was suffocating due to lack of fuel/air). It did not cut out. I assumed that my air filter was dirty. I parked as normal without any further issues. After work, the car just will not start... This was the beginning of my troubleshooting (change of fuel pump/filters, sensors).The car did not have any performance issues before this apart from a lag (car will take a few seconds actually propel hard when accelerator was floored)

It never produced any codes after it stalled that time?

On one of the scanner used it showed a "00 Initial start" code. A transmission code came up also but i cannot remember what it was. I was assured that an issue with the transmission would not cause a no start issue

Oh, hell yeah a trans can cause a no start issue. I had a Brand New QX56 with 10 miles on it stuck at the lot that was jump started backwards and blew out the a circuit in the TCM which took 2 months to figure out with engineers and Specialists coming to help.

The 00 tells me your not using a full blown scanner to look at your car. You are going to need a full blown scanner to scan the engine system and transmission to see if there is codes there.

you are right, the scanner that produced the 00 code was a pocket scanner. My friend used a proper scanner Today that revealed no codes. He didn't scan the transmission.. He checked the engine and the NATS.So should i get the transmission scanned and we'll look to see it there is a code that will actually cause a no start issue?ALSO... For some reason, when i checked my transmission oil level, it's telling me that's it over full... BUT.. I check this weekly (before the no start issue) and the level has always been perfect. Any ideas on that?I mentioned the 00 code to a previous just answer tech who simply told me "i do not know what that means" SMHAnyway, what's your suggestion on the way forward?

Yes, we need to scan the transmission and I would scan all control units to be sure.

a 00 code is not a good code, it's a different language..lol.. Codes for your year car should start with a Letter, and then 4 numbers. Like P0420 which is for a Catt Converter. That is just a example of what a code should look like. If you cleared that 00 code that could have helped determine what real code you may have had with another scan tool. That code may have helped determine the problem as well.

But lets see what happens when you get the rest of the car scanned. I would scan BCM, ABS, and Transmission

The ABS? Lol. I didn't see that one coming.
Do you think it's safe to drain the transmission until the fluid level revert to the normal Full line?I will try to get that scan done ASAP! hopefully in the morning

You can't check the trans fluid level if it doesn't run. The transmission fluid level is checked with the engine running. So we need to get the car running first.

lol.. okay... Didn't know that ^^^ Thanks again, i'll get back to you tomorrow

you got it. Talk to you tomorrow.

Jay, It's been a few days. Apologies.. To be honest i'v been frustrated. there are no codes on the transmission and the BCM seems to be ok. I say seem because we don't know of a "safe" way to properly test the ECU/BCM etc. I do not want to fry any of these components :D
Should i change the throttle body?? I'm desperate.

Can you give me some history on how this started? did it die on you running? or just wouldn't start one day?

Ok.. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but you've asked me this twice before, so if you don't mind, i'll copy and paste my last answer to this question. Or maybe i'm misunderstanding .. but basically it just wouldn't start one day. I t had no issues prior... Well no issues that i saw or felt.The car has been maintained as per Nissan recommendations, It is serviced (oil/filters/plugs) every 3 months irrespective of usage/Mileage. In short i spare no expense. The car has been trouble free throughout.One day when i was driving into the parking lot, the car idled heavily (as though it was suffocating due to lack of fuel/air). It did not cut out. I assumed that my air filter was dirty. I parked as normal without any further issues. After work, the car just will not start... This was the beginning of my troubleshooting (change of fuel pump/filters, sensors).The car did not have any performance issues before this apart from a lag (car will take a few seconds actually propel hard when accelerator was floored)

sorry, didn't mean to ask again. Some times has past and I have answered other questions. So I forgot if I asked.

How is the oil level?

No problem. lol.Oil level is good. Dead on the maximum mark (cold engine reading)

This may be easier to figure out if I spoke with you.

Would that be something you are interested in?

Ok... no problem. This will have to be tomorrow when i can actually go through your suggestions/directions on the car. I'm available all day so let me know what time

What state are you in? Time Zone?

4 hrs. It's 10:06 pm here at the moment

It is 9;09 pm here. I just noticed your not in the States.

lol.. No. If i was, i'd take it in to the dealership and PAY FOR MY STRESS. ... Literally

not a problem. Lets try around 1pm tomorrow your time. Noon time for me

that's great

Talk to you then

Waiting on you.

Jay, Please accept my apologies.. i missed the appointment due to an issue beyond my control. How does it work? Do i call you or you call me? What's the earliest can we do this in the morning? (i'm an hour ahead of you)

We can try tomorrow morning if you like. I will be available around 9 am EST which would be 10 am your time.

Let me know if that works for you?

I start work at 10 but i'll go in a bit later. i will be available. Need to get this sorted asap.

I would do it earlier but I have to take my daughter to school.

Cool No problem. Is there anything i need to have prior to this call? Apart from the ODB scan tool... I don't have that.

It's hard to say. I don't know how long we will be on the phone. I don't know if I am going to have you do checks with me on the phone, or have you do checks and get back to me. I am sure once we talk, we can communicate much clearer about what is going on with out the delay in typing and not properly understanding everything.

Friday morning may be better. Cause I have a appointment at 10 am. Which I would need to leave at 9:30

Would that work better for you?

lol... yeah. i will put a reminder. that's fine

Ok then., Friday morning 9 am my time, 10 am your time.. Talk to you then!