Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 m35x will not start. Had it at an auto shop on when I…

Customer Question
2007 m35x will not start...
2007 m35x will not start. Had it at an auto shop on when I came to pick up the battery was dead. Jumped the car but all ignition functions were non functioning, dash did not light up even with juice.
replaced battery in car, and fobs, had a locksmith come to re program keys, but they could not get dash functions to come on.
Called a tow truck to have it towed to a dealer. The tow driver asked what the problem was and I told him. He said he had a special sequence trick that he paid $800 to infiniti to learn.
Dash lights finally functioned...car would turn over but not start... I went inside the shop came back out and the car was running. Took it off the tow and drove home.
got home turned car off and now it turns over but will not start. Security light is on even when car unlocked. Any advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/25/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car was running while you were on your way home?

No everything seemed normal except the security light was on.

On Solid?

I think, but don't recall for certain.

Put the remote into the remote slot and push the start button two times to get the ignition to come on. See if the security light is ON solid?

Security light on solid. When fob out then blinking.

That means there is a key programming issue. When the attempt was made to program the key, it may have affected the fobs programming. Do you have another fob you can try?

no other fobs,...it was certainly a programming issue, but that was resolved by the "trick" the tow driver did. He said it had something to do with pressing the buttons on the fob in a certain order. Am I back to towing to the dealer?

But something happened to the programming which is why the security light is ON solid.

So now the remote will need to be erased and reprogrammed and that should get you back on the road.

We can try the escape from lock mode steps before going to the dealer. Hold on and let me get that for you.

you still there?

Yes,, looking it up. Hang on.

Thanks...wasnt sure if my computer went off line. no worries.

Not finding the escape from lock mode steps for your M. I have another thing I would like you try. Make sure the ignition is off, and disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then reconnect it and see if the vehicle starts.

Give that a try and let me know how you make out

I'll give it a try, but we tried that last night with no results.

Ok.. Well, it sounds like it is going to require a scanner to read the NATs system for codes. It may just need to be reprogrammed.

Does the remote lock and unlock the car?

locks work...panic button no.

I do know that when these cars are attempted to be jump started, if the ignition was On when attempted it can cause a voltage surge and damage control units. This particular issue since the ignition comes on, would be easier to determine with a scanner. Most cases the ignition would not come on. The remote working says it can read the remote, but the fact the security light is on solid, means the NATS system is keeping it from starting.

Did you check all fuses?

everything was checked prior to the tow driver coming. Nothing worked. Car dead. Would not even crank, even with new battery. The tow driver came and pressed some buttons on the remote...car started. Now after I'm home the engine cranks, but will not start.

I don't know what the tow truck driver did, but it's actually good that the ignition comes on. With the ignition on, a scanner can be used to check all signals and operations. That is what will need to be done for your issue I am afraid. This could be a faulty control unit causing your issue.

Do you have any more questions on this?

I guess not. Doesn't tell me much than what I already knew

Well it tells me that you are most likely dealing with a control unit issue. The fact the panic button does not work, this is pointing to a possible BCM issue. The only real way is to check this issue with a scanner. I know this is not what you want to hear, but is what needs to be done to isolate your issue.

This is what you can try to escape the car from lock mode. If this doesn't work, then you would have no choice then to take it to a dealer.

Insert the fob into the fob slot.

Press the start button 2 times with out stepping on the brake pedal. Wait 5 seconds

Press the Start button again to turn the ignition off.

Repeat 2 to 3 times and see if it will then start.

Since you told me to disconnect the battery now no dash lights and car is dead. Yes, the battery is connected. situation worse than when we started.

Then it does sound like a BCM issue. The no power thing verifies that a control unit was damaged.

I thought you did that already? You did it again?