Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Infiniti QX4. I have the car 10 years. I noticed the…

Customer Question
2001 Infiniti QX4. I...

2001 Infiniti QX4. I have the car for over 10 years. I noticed the other day the red security light was blinking while I was driving. This has never happened. I didn't think much of it. I parked the car for the night. Next day the car wouldn't start. It would crank but not turn over. I tried to jump it but that didn't work. I replaced the battery and that didn't work. Again, it cranks but will not turn over. I am starting to think it might have something to do with the security system b/c of the blinking red light. Can I bypass the alarm?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What type of details?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

For the security light to blink when you are driving, that tells me you have a after market alarm system in the truck. There is no way a factory security light can blink when the vechile is being driven.

How handy are you?

not bad with tools. A lot carpentry work but willing to try anything. I winterize and change the plugs on my boat.
I saw one of your post recommended unplugging the Viper alarm box. I'm not sure who makes the alarm. If this is what you want me to try where should I look for that box?
I just looked at my remote. It has the Infiniti logo and name on it.

Sorry for the delay. You have the factory remote, but most likely have a aftermarket alarm thatbis going off while you are driving. You need to locate the after market alarm control unit and unplug it like the image you saw of mine

ok. I will look for it. How can I find that old post of yours again?
where should I start to look for the box?

It is normally located under the drivers side dash area. I stepped out and am away from my computer to share the image. Let me try something for you

ok. no rush. I'm at work and will not be able to do anything until I get home.
do my symptoms sound like it could possibly be a faulty alarm?

Sorry for the delay.. Had a help a buddy with his car problem.

The only thing you are experiencing is the security light flashing as you are driving correct? Does any lights flash also?

That is what it should look like and what plug you should remove

Ok. Thanks Jay. I would try it in the morning. No other languages hits are flashing.
Does the flashing security light while I'm driving indicate that something might be wrong with the security system therefore not allowing my car to start? As I mentioned before. The car cranks but won't start. Almost as if the only thing missing is gas or spark. Would the security system allow the car to cranck but not not start? Thanks

I thought you said the car would run but the security light would flash while you are driving?

When you turn the Key to the ON position, is the Security light ON SOLID? or is the light OFF?

If you can take a picture of the security light you saw flashing when you were driving to show me, as soon as I see the light I can tell you if it's the factory light or not.

Let me know

Ok. I will take a pic tomorrow. Sorry for all of the typos and auto corrects. It's been a long day.
Thanks for your quick responses.
The car cranks but does not start. The night before it stopped running I noticed the little red security light flashing while I was driving. Never saw that before. That is why I think it might have something to do with the car not starting.

It very well could be. That is why I want to see the light to get a idea what type of security system you have.

I am going to PA tomorrow morning. So I will be on and off line most of the day. I will have my phone though and check in for a reply from you to continue to help you.. Ok!

Never got that picture. Do you still need help with this?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician