Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

Ok Jay I'm new to this but I'm out of time I have QX4 97 out

Customer Question
of the blue not start...
Ok Jay I'm new to this but I'm out of time I have QX4 97 out of the blue not start, battery good I Thought, starter works, but position 2 on the key is not showing check lights, pos,3 I can jiggle it to get check lights and turn over engine seems to fire for 1-2 seconds won't run even goosed it as much as I dare with the starter engaged have a mother 3.3 Quest same thing but it had dash lights put new Distributer BAM. But also I can't read computer codes now ether
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Infiniti
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please sms my answer Thank you or call me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope better hit 4***@******.*** it works
2/2/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

These computers may not scan through the OBD2 port. It could be a distributor. What I would like you to do if you can is remove the distributor cap and turn the engine over to see if the rotor turns.

Let me know what you find

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fairly new timing belt and fan clutch

Ok.. could we still check to be sure?

If you could check for spark also?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay will do give me 15 min
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it rotates and now there is no sign of starting
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As in was getting combustion w cap on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Key, Distributer , or hidden relay,..fuse
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't mean to be so ... But frustration began at 1300 hours yesterday FYI. glad your here for such things as this thank you..

Sorry no one got to you quicker. Did you say you are getting spark?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was getting combustion w cap on. But would not run
The other thing is to see if it is getting fuel and injector pulse.
Can you see if it will run on starting fluid?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure give me 20 min
No problem take your time
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok friend and I did as you asked fed it starting fluid and in addition to trying to start it added unburnt fluid to the exhaust but still won't RUN We both think it starts but don't run
It sounds very much like it could be a distributor. Do you recall having a check engine light on the last time it was running?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plug wires timing belt water pump all done 3.5 years ago. Awnser to the light yes thought it was wrong diff fluid no code thrown
If you had a check engine light on there is a code storedYou can't use a OBD2 scanner though to read it
If you had a check engine light on, there is a code stored. You can't use a OBD2 scanner though. The OBD2 port is for inspection only for this year Qx4
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your recommendation to jump the on circuit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or next
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let's make it happ'n. Cap'n
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HELLO JAY. This is not my day swapped Distributers in my 2000 quest with QX4 1997 van started right up so I left that one in there so I NEED more info about my problem por favor

Perfect.. That verifies the distributor.

It's good some times to have another vehicle to help!! :)

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The. VAN. started not. The. QX4 please I. need your personal off the record advice

Oh, I miss understood.. I thought the distributor swap worked.

Hang on a min please. Let me check to see if there is a self diagnostic screw on the ecm. Hang on a min please..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is the ecm located and do you have a diagram of it

If you turn the key to the ON position, does the Check Engine Light illuminate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No lights in the position where the lights do their test

Oh boy.. That sounds like a Ecm issue. Do you have a Test light?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well Jay nice of you to be there but I'm running out of time for today will we pick up tommorrow or can you send me a Link to contact our agreement and continue on FEB 3 2016

All you need to return tomorrow is to log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back to this question.

Your user name and password ***** have been emailed to you.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please email my log in and password ********@******.***. Thanks again till tommorrow

Personal contact is against our terms and services unless Additional Service is accepted. Please do not add any private information in the conversation please.

You will need to log in and return back to this question tomorrow to continue

Thanks Jay!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Jay you in there?

I just got online...

How are we making out with this?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician