Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2009 G37 convertible. Love

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2009 G37 convertible. Love the car, but have a very strange problem..... Periodically when I get in the car, it will be dead - no lights on the dash - nothing. If I open and close the drivers door, it then works. But the electrical system has reset itself in that the stereo is on max, the dash lights are on dim, and the convertible top in out of cycle and thinks it is in operation.... have to go through the close cycle and then it is ok.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This happened the first time in December - it has happened intermittently since then. but... has happened 3 times this week
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Infiniti Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The most common thing I would say that I have seen cause the power to act like you are describing is either a loose or poor battery terminal connection.

What I would suggest you do is check your battery connections and first see if they are tight. If they aren't, then tighten them up and see if that resolves your issue. If they are tight, then loosen them up and twist them side to side and then re-tighten them down in a slightly different location that they originally were.

How often would you say this happens? Once a day? Once a week?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is happening more frequently - 3 times this week...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So this way if you do what I am asking, if you can go a week with out the issue returning, then you know it was a battery connection issue.

You can return back this this question in a week if you like to let me know if this steps I gave you resolved your issue. You can return any time after you Rate me for any follow up questions you may have on this issue and I will help you.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is odd to me that opening and closing the door fix it - every time. Is there anything inside the door that could be loose that would cause this? I will take the steps suggested regarding the battery connections.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The door is simply jolting the car. Nothing in the door can cause all the power to go out. Shutting the door jolts the body which is making the poor connection to make contact.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

has the car ever been in a accident or anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No accidents
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. So lets check those battery connections and adjust them if they are tight. Then let me know how you make out... Sound good?

Do you know how to return back to this question to let me know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I can get back to this via a link in the emails I am receiving. If that is not correct, please let me know how to reconnect to this conversation string.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes, other wise you would need to log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back.

Let me know how you make out

Thanks Jay!