Infiniti

Infiniti repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2009 G37 convertible. Love…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2009 G37 convertible. Love the car, but have a very strange problem..... Periodically when I get in the car, it will be dead - no lights on the dash - nothing. If I open and close the drivers door, it then works. But the electrical system has reset itself in that the stereo is on max, the dash lights are on dim, and the convertible top in out of cycle and thinks it is in operation.... have to go through the close cycle and then it is ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

This happened the first time in December - it has happened intermittently since then. but... has happened 3 times this week

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
1/29/2016
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The most common thing I would say that I have seen cause the power to act like you are describing is either a loose or poor battery terminal connection.

What I would suggest you do is check your battery connections and first see if they are tight. If they aren't, then tighten them up and see if that resolves your issue. If they are tight, then loosen them up and twist them side to side and then re-tighten them down in a slightly different location that they originally were.

How often would you say this happens? Once a day? Once a week?

It is happening more frequently - 3 times this week...

Ok. So this way if you do what I am asking, if you can go a week with out the issue returning, then you know it was a battery connection issue.

You can return back this this question in a week if you like to let me know if this steps I gave you resolved your issue. You can return any time after you Rate me for any follow up questions you may have on this issue and I will help you.

Do you have any more questions on this?

It is odd to me that opening and closing the door fix it - every time. Is there anything inside the door that could be loose that would cause this? I will take the steps suggested regarding the battery connections.

The door is simply jolting the car. Nothing in the door can cause all the power to go out. Shutting the door jolts the body which is making the poor connection to make contact.

has the car ever been in a accident or anything?

No accidents

ok.. So lets check those battery connections and adjust them if they are tight. Then let me know how you make out... Sound good?

Do you know how to return back to this question to let me know?

I believe I can get back to this via a link in the emails I am receiving. If that is not correct, please let me know how to reconnect to this conversation string.

Yes, other wise you would need to log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back.

Let me know how you make out

Thanks Jay!