Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

, Have a 1997 Infinity I30 has has the check engine

Customer Question

Customer: My name is Rayan
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Have a 1997 Infinity I30 has has the check engine light that keeps coming on. Took it to auto parts store multiple times. Always throws error code P0500. Replaced speedo sensor but the issue persists. Car wont pass emissions for the same reason
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Infiniti Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Does the speedometer work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

The issue is likely the speedometer in the cluster.

How you ask?
The flow for your speedometer is like this. It goes from the speed sensor in the transmission to the speedometer. Then from the speedometer to the computer. So, since you have the code but the speedo is working, we know that the speed sensor is good. Otherwise your speedometer wouldn't work. The problem is the speedometer isn't telling the computer how fast the car is going and it's causing the light to come on.

You will need to replace the speedometer to solve the check engine light. A used one would work and save you some money.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!