Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 2008 Infiniti M35x and the normal radio does not

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Infiniti M35x and the normal radio does not have any reception. The XM radio works but normal radio does not work
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Radio stations show in gray and the dial does not change the stations
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

The radio has a different Antenna than the xm does.

How handy are you? We may need to remove the radio to check if the antenna is plugged in, and check the antenna its self.

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1-10 I would say about 5-6
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Before I start sharing info on what to check, did this happen out of the blue?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you have some kind of work done and has not worked since?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought the car and I found out that it did not work afterwards. One thing I know about the car is that it was involved in a minor bumper accident few months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Front or rear?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Also, does the car have navigation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok, On the back passenger panel by the back window. This is known as Panel C. Panel A is the front panel by the windshield. We want to pop off Panel C on the passenger side. That is where the Antenna Amp is located and also where the antenna is plugged to the glass. The antenna for the radio is the top part of the glass. So like the rear defroster on how it plugs onto the glass, there is another plug towards the top. See if that is plugged in. If it is, then we will be checking power and ground at the Antenna Amp.

Ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I just use a plastic screwdriver like to pop it out or there are screws?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There is no screws. It's a pop panel. I pull it towards the top and slip it out as it pops free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try that and I will get back to you
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. i am leaving work now. I will be back online around 7 pm est and then be online till 10 or 11 pm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to remove it but it, but it was tucked next to the back seat, however, I was able to remove peak through and I was able to see that the antenna is plugged in t the glass.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that is good. Then lets start with the basics before we have to check that antenna amp and remove the radio to see if it's plugged in.

Do you have a Test light to check fuses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can remove the fuses and test them under a light. Where is the fuse box,under the steering wheel by legs area or by the engine?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The best way to check fuses is with a test light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrsXwwukFc

The fuse box is where your left foot would be when sitting in the drivers seat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me get one and get back to ypu
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the fuses and I found the cigarette lighter (15A) fuse was burned
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then the BCM needs to be checled with a scannner.

That control unit controls all remote operations. I would check the remote make sure it has a good CR2025 battery in it. If it does, then you have to look at tbe bcm.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you are satisfied with my help please Rate me. I hope that I have provided you with excellent service.

Thanks Jay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. This is related to a radio not working. Not a remote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First you wanted me to check The radio and then to check the fuses
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh.. sorry got confused. I have another questio. Where the remote don't work.

Sorry about that. So the wire is connected on the back glass? Did we remove the radio to see if it was plugged in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is plugged in to the window. What are the symptoms of an unplugged radio? because I can see the saved radio channels under A B and C but I cannot change it and when I go to the saved station no sound and it is gray. I just don't want to go through the hassle of taking the radio out unless I really have to.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I will be online tomorrow. It is late. Can we continue this tomorrow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Good night
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for waiting.

Just reply back when you are available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I hear ya. Did you see the Antenna amp back there also?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached a pic for that few posts ago. So yes it was there
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Need to check it for power and ground to make sure it's working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you send me a diagram of that area so I can know what panel I need to remove . I don't know the real boundaries of panel C
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That was the panel by the back window. That is considered C panel. A panel is the one next to the windshield, B panel is the panel between the front and rear door.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is the component layout. The Antenna Amp is number 5

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to remove the back seat to remove the panel or there is no need?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I don't recall having to take the seat back off to remove that panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it a try tonight or tomorrow morning. I am thinking the power and/or connections might be unplugged. I will let you know and take pics as well if I can
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That Antenna amp gets powered by the radio. So you would be looking at either a antenna amp issue if it has power, if it doesn't have power, you need to look to make sure it's plugged in and could be looking at a radio issue.

I have one thing I just thought of that I would like you to try just to see what happens.

Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then connect it and see if the radio works

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k. I will try that first. Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

you got it Will wait to see how that goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried removing the negative cable from the battery and still did not work. It just reset the favorites under A B and C to default radio channels which no sound comes from them.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then we need to check power and ground at the Antenna Amp

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I thought the hard reset may work. It was worth a shot!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will remove panel Candcheck all the connection. Just to make sure, The panel should pop out, right? No screws?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes, no screws