Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Top on my girlfriends g37s went down and now won't come up.

Customer Question

Top on my girlfriends g37s went down and now won't come up. Took it to dealer and they got the top up but now want $4500 to replace hydraulic pump. She doesn't have that kind of $$
Wondering how difficult it is to replace myself? Where is it located. $$ of new pump.
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a YouTube video or something like it?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your Question.

Did they say it was leaking? Why are they saying you need a pump assembly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't say it was leaking. Just that she needed a new hydraulic pump
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If it is not leaking I can't see it needing a pump. What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California. Sacramento area
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well Darn, I was hoping you were a little closer.

I am the convertible guy at the last two dealers I have worked for. I figure out these things a lot!

If they are trying to tell you that you need a pump cause you have a Hydraulic State code, that is not what that code means. Since you had the car at the dealer, see if you can find out what codes you are getting in the Convertible top that is requiring a new pump. The pump I have only had to replace when it's leaking. So if yours is not leaking, then I don't think you need a 4500 dollar pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What state are you in?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am in NJ.. So your just a little far for me..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you thinking it's not the pump and we should find another mechanic? I'm willing to try and replace the pump myself but if it's not that, I have a feeling is have spent a significant amount of $$ on a part....?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Trust me, you are not going to be able to do the pump. It's comes as a complete sealed unit will lines and everything and requires a scanner to help operate the roof manually to hook up spots.

I have some things I would like to ask, which I thought would be easier if I spoke with you. But if you want to continue this way, it's fine...

Are you getting a Beep, Beep Sound when you turn the car off?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. Been busy. We were hearing that before. We had them out the top up manually and now we arent
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I know that when the top stops working you normally get a hydraulic state code. This does not mean you need a pump. That code just means it lost its hydraulic timing for proper operation.

What was the exact reason they told you that you need a pump, if it is not leaking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't give an exact reason. Thinking.....what's the possibility of getting you, me and the dealership on a conference call? I'd pay for that?!!?!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If we speak, then we can make arrangements to 3 way a call to the dealer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Let's do it.Can you send the "lets talk" invite again?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I sent you the request again

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How did you make out?