Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

What is the best way to get to the wire harness to resolder

Customer Question

ryan what is the best way to get to the wire harness to resolder the splice on the blue wire that goes to the horn
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Ryan has not been online in almost a year. What is the exact issue with your horn? Please explain..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the horn will not work on the steering wheel it was suggested to resolder splice in wire harness where the three wires are spliced together. between spiral cable fuse and fusible link and the horn relay . horn works with on off of alarm
sky blue wire
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If the horn works off the remote, but not at the steering wheel, that is normally a indication that it could be the spiral cable.

Where are you reading about splicing wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was suggested that yellow electrical tape is wrapped around the splice in the harness... typically if it gets wet the splice could get corroded thus breaking the gnd return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is located on ww7 there is a splice at pin 1 of fuse pin 51 of relay pin 44g
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
spiral cable
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Wow... The Yellow loom is for the Air Bag system. You don't want to touch that.

If the spiral cable is bad, it wouldn't mater what splice you make. The horn will still not work.

Try this. Press and hold the horn down and turn the steering wheel right slowly all the way, and then try turning it left all the way slowly. Let me know at any time does the horn sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will give it a try not at the house right now at work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it does sound what should I do
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If it sounds, then your spiral cable is 100% your issue! It's a test I normally do. It is a 50/50 shot that this test would sound the horn. But it doesn't hurt to try it. Cause if it does sound, then you simply diagnosed it yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks....
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.. Let me know how you make out when you get home. I will be online till around 10 or 11 pm EST

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

talk to you soon.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

checking in to see how you made out..