Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Infinity Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Infinity Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 98 infiniti q45 and my brake lights wont come on

Customer Question

I have a 98 infiniti q45 and my brake lights wont come on therefore i cant move it out of park
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

When the shifter will not release from Park and the brake lights are not working at the same time, this is most commonly due to a faulty Stop Lamp Switch. The switch is located under the driver's side dash at the top of the brake pedal arm (click here for image). Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the switch mount and contact points to the brake pedal looking for any broken or misaligned parts. If the visual insepction checks ok, replace the brake light switch. In the meantime, there is a over-ride on the shifter in the top right corner. Remove the cap and insert a flat tool (the key will work too) into the hole. Move the shifter to Neutral. You can now start and drive the vehicle. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.