Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

I have an infiniti G35 2007, recently i installed a towing

Customer Question
hook and drove with heavy...
I have an infiniti G35 2007, recently i installed a towing hook and drove with heavy weight in hot weather for 14 hours and the engine over heat so i had to pull over and wait for it to cool down a couple of weeks later once engine is cold i started the car and drove it for a while, but as soon as i shifted it to R, N,or P the computer turn on different warining lights and from that point the computer wont shift between gears smothly and if i want to turn it off i have to play with the push start botten and the gear shift for a few sec. once its off it wont turn on again untill the engine is cold!
this problem has been going on for more then 2 weeks. i took the car to the dealership they had the car for about 10 days charged me $200 to tell me that the transmission needs to be replaced. and that would cost me $2400 for them to put a used transmission that has 50000 miles on it ..
please let me know if you have an idea what can i do to reset mt transmission computer (module) ? i believe that will solve the problem :)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
10/17/2015
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is this a coupe or sedan? Also, is it AWD?

It's a sedan rear wd

What kind of weight were you pulling? Just trying to get a idea if you over heated the transmission as well, also how many miles are on your car?

141000
About 2000lbs

Well, the transmission computer is built into the transmissions valve body. So with that kind of mileage on a car not to designed not to tow that kind of weight it is very possible that you did transmission damage.

If you want to try a hard reset, disconnect the negative battey cable for 15 mins.

If you still have issues after that, then you will most likely need to replace the transmission.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Is there a way to repair the computer without changing the transmission?

The only way wpuld be to replace the valve body. Then after it is replaced, it would need to be reprogrammed. The cost of the part os 1100. With labor and programming it would be close to 1500. That is a lot of money to put into a transmission that could have more wrong with it do to the ovef temp

Do you have any more questions on this?

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you are satisfied with my help please Rate me. I hope that I have provided you with excellent service.

Thanks Jay

good morning jay,
please process a refund, all the info you gave me i already knew!
thank you for trying :)

Did the hard reset and reload work?

No, it didn't work :(
I had to go and replace the transmission..
The job is still not done but I tried everything I can do by myself now it's in the hands of professional mechanic :)
Thank you for trying..

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!

How long it takes the refund to process?

Don't know exactly...

I put you in for a refund. You should be notified..

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician