Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year as a ASE Tech
7276279

Infinity qx4 4WD 2002 stalls during cold start. Have to put

Customer Question

Infinity qx4 4WD 2002 stalls during cold start. Have to put my foot on gas pedal. Recently did not start at all. My gas station guy told me ignition key is not recognized by ignition system and need to towed to dealer to reprogram it. I have towed to dealer he sain computer chip needs to be replaced due to security issue. Any way car now start but have to give gas otherwise don't start. Afraid car may stall when parked somewhere. It does that when cold starting only otherwise runs fine.
Dealer wants lot of money to fix. Truck has 198000 miles but in good condition.
Read on infinity forum the problem may be with MAF. Need advise
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One common caused for the type of stalling you are describing can be caused by a dirty and sticking IAC (idle air control valve) located on the throttle body as well as sludge build up in the throttle body. I would take some carb cleaner and a soft cloth and give the throttle body a good clean as well as the IAC. When doing so , be sure to remove the negative battery cable before you do the cleaning. See the IAC location on the TB in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Throttle%20body%20Oct%2010.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealer took care of security code 1610. Truck started alright and I drove about 30 miles or so on two different days.
But today I started the car it started alright and I let it run for 10 minutes and shut it off' I then started after half an hour later it started but idle was erratic and then shut off.
It will crank but not start. Same symptoms of security failure. Noticed that security light keep blinking when I engage the ignition key.
Please advise. Truck has 198000 miles but in good shape and otherwise runs nice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting for reply, please.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the security light is flashing then it sounds like you are still having a problem with the key and or the security system, since the dealer was supposed to have fixed this then they need to recheck it for you because it sounds like something was over looked here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I was waiting for dealer to come back. Dealer told me it has nothing to do with security . Code are p0300, p011 and p0021.
I do not understand truck is exactly doing the same thing as before cranks but don't start. I drove from their place to my home and next day I drove about five miles without trouble. And now truck cranks and no start. Please advise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Security light blinking
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The codes P0011 and O0021 indicate a problem with the Intake Valve Timing (IVT) control. See the steps below to check the system starting with the oil.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0011%20cam%20timing%20Oct%2023.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Tell me these codes present will prevent starting . Truck only cranks but don't start. Security light blinking. Please advise.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is possible if you are having a timing concern which these codes indicate , these codes could keep it from starting.