peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

My car is overheating and it isn't the thermostat has been

Customer Question

My car is overheating and it isn't the thermostat has been replaced, but still having the problem. The bottom hose is cold but everything up top is hot. The heater initially doesn't blow hot air, but eventually does- could this be a water pump on the brink of going out? The fans kick in right away.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

If the impeller fins on the pump are worn this can cause this here but this may also be a fault with a blockage in the coolant system itself like a restricted radiator in some cases or an issue with a restriction in the engine block.I have also seen issues with a leaking cylinder head gasket to where no fluid leaks are found internally or externally but instead exhaust heat and gasses leak into the cooling system causing an over heat issue.To see if this is the cause here the engine needs to have a simple block test done with a block tester.Most shops or a dealer have this tool and usually takes less then an hour to do.You can also purchase this tool at a local parts store like Napa or Auto Zone to do this testing yourself and it comes with easy to follow instructions to do the testing.

I would start with this test to rule this out.If found o.k. then I would try a coolant flush and check and make sure the fins on the radiator are not bent blocking air flow through it and if this is o.k. make sure the engine cooling fan is operating properly (usually kicking on around 190 to 210 degrees).Then if this is all o.k. I would check and see if a worn water pump is the cause here needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** pass the info along - if it was block issue wouldn't I have additional issues as well?

Your welcome.In some cases you won't have any additional faults if the exhaust is leaking past the head gasket into the cooling system just an over heat issue in most cases.