Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

My 2001 infiniti qx4 will crank over but not start I suspect

Customer Question

my 2001 infiniti qx4 will crank over but not start I suspect it has something to do with security system? security system has been clicking randomly under dash and now does not work at all. is this coincidence or does this have something to do with car
not firing? if this is the problem is there a quick fix? like disabling the security system? thanks Dennis
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dennis,

Is the security light on solid when you are cranking the engine or flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it actually stops flashing when cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if the light goes out then the security isn't the problem. When it was running was the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, from here it sounds like a possible fuel pump issue. Try spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid directly into the throttle and see if it runs for a few seconds on it. This will tell us if there is a fuel or spark issue or both. It will help pinpoint the issue.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** isn't any fire when you do this, then you should next pull a spark plug and see if there is any fuel on it. You should be able to see that it's wet and that there is gas on it if the injection is working as it should.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I spray the starting fluid in?
Do I unhook the black tube air intake and just spray in there?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Unhook it up at the throttle in the center of the engine. Not at the air filter box. Spray a decent amount directly into the throttle, then crank the engine. If we have spark it should fire for a few seconds until it uses it all up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it Thanks! it
Will butane or gasoline work?
Don't have starting fluid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is The gas pump? I can just unhook the out going hose and see if it's pumping correct?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You can unhook the fuel line. Butane might do the trick for sure :) Just be careful as it's more flammable then gas!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the fuel pump?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry!! It's in the fuel tank on this. We have to include the injector pulse in our diagnosis though, so first, make sure we have spark, then take the line off and make sure we have fuel. If we do, then we know injectors aren't working. So, it's kind of a process.