Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

My infiniti started making a rattling noise around last week

Customer Question
when driving about 40 mph...
My infiniti started making a rattling noise around last week when driving about 40 mph. I went and got a oil change and it stopped for about two days then it started to make a clunking/Rattling noise when in idle yesterday but went about about 10 mins later. Any help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
The first time I heard the noise I was at a stop light and it started but went away within a minute then started up again when i made it home about 10 mins later. I drove the car this morning with no issues or noises but went outside during lunch after the car had been sitting for about 7 hours and the noise happened about 5 mins after the car had been sitting idle.
8/12/2015
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Any chance you can take a video clip of the noise so I can hear it?

I do have a video of the noise. Would you like for me to attach it.

Do you have a DropBox account to share the video with me? If you can attach it here, you can do that as well.

I do. How do I go about doing it?

Place it in your Public folder, and right click the file and select copy public link. Then come back here and paste the public link here and then i would be able to download it and view it.

I'm currently on my phone trying to do this and dropbox wont allow me to copy the link. Can i email you the video?

Personal contact is against our terms and services unless the customer accept Additional Service which has a extra charge. But with additional service, you would also be able to speak with me directly.

Would that be something you would be interested in?

I think I may have it now. Im adding the link. One sec

If not, you can do it when you get home and on your computer. I don't mind waiting

Ok I will do that then. Do i just log on and add it whenever and you'll respond

Yes, log in and go to My Questions. You will find this question there so you can return

I will be online around 7 pm EST and online till 10 or 11 pm. I get off for a break around 4:30 and back at 7

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Camera%20Uploads/2015-08-11%2017.28.05.mp4?_subject_uid=118953978&w=AAAnk7MyH3ou125lC7-J76WvhrQDX9leY
Please let me know if that link works
Hold on, going to listen now..
didn't work
That link didn't work
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3aayp5viv23k0l/2015-08-11%2017.28.05.mp4?dl=0
Got it finally work.There is the link

Damn.. That has some noise to it. Does the engine have oil?

I got a oil change 2 days ago..Do you suggest that i still check the oil limit?

I would certainly check to make sure they put oil in it! or maybe the drain plug fell out or something. Do not start the engine again please until we check oil level.

Has someone check the oil and the levels are good
Had..typo

Any chance you can open the hood and make a quick video? I don't want it to run to long.

who checked the oil level? Did you start the car at all before you did?

I let the car cool for 30 mins and my friend did. It is night time so it would be hard to make a video.

I can keep this open till you can do this. I am trying to determine what is making that noise. It sounds like it is a oil issue.

You need to check the oil level with the engine off, and the engine needs to not have been running for 5 to 10 mins.

I can check it now..the car has only been off for about 5 mins

Please double check it. I would really like to be sure.

When you last checked it, was the engine running shortly before?

Ill check it now. Before the car was off for about 30 mins. Checking now

k

The oil levels are good and everything and it only made the boise once again when i was in traffic

It doesn't make noise any other time?

I am now wondering if that is the cooling fans. If you start the engine and turn the AC on and off, see if the noise comes and goes

I had both relay fans and the motors replaced about to years ago but the noise does seem to happen when the ac is on and the car has been driving awhile..testing your theory now

ok

The noise just came back on and i think the right fan is making the noise from what i can hear. Maybe its going out or having a hard time trying to spin?

That is what I was thinking.. If it's a bad fan, it will need to be replaced. Turning the AC on automatically turns the fans on. The reason why you hear it in traffic is cause the fans come on to cool the engine.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

One last question would i have to replace both fans and can i get a after market assembly fan..and does the fan motor have to be replaced

I hate after market.

They come all sorts of different ways. Some come just the motor. When it comes to quality, the dealer is the best.

Ok thanks two years ago when the infiniti dealer replaced them i wouldn't expect the same problem again. But we will see. Hopefully theyll give me a break.

You got it man!

I hope you are Satisfied with my help.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician