Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I own a 96 Infiniti i30 and just recently had a locksmith

Customer Question

I own a 96 Infiniti i30 and just recently had a locksmith attempt to pull out the key that was broken, in the process he set off a spark on the ignition switch. Now after getting it fixed the car will not crank at all and there are no dash lights, just the security light blinks on the dash. Why won't the car start?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Does the head lights turn on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
exterior lights work
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Your main fusible link is blown. Give me a min. I have a video on how to change it. It is located in that fuse box by the battey.
Give me a fee please
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM6cNM2Ye8A
That video will show you how to replace it.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked the 30 amp main fusible link and it is good.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

How did you check it?

When you tun the key to the ON position, does any dash warning lights come on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went ahead and replaced the main fusible link, which is a 140 amp fuse (was assuming 30 amp). Still won't do anything.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

What has power in the car? Do you have a Test light?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have a test light unfortunately. As far as power, the lights work, the green ring around the ignition lights up, interior lights work and that security light blinks. I'm not with the car at the moment but can also advise the power door locks work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing on the dash lights up. No sound when key is turned.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Ok.. We will need a test light to check fuses. Do you think you can pick one up and I will continue to help you later this evening?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can do that. Which fuses should I check for? And after I check I shall share my results with you.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Check all fuses with the key on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is weird, with the key to the on position, as I tested the fuses only the top 3 in each row lit up. Is that correct, because it sure doesn't sound like it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To be more helpful, going down the row starting from the left side, the last one to light up was BAT 10 AMP spare; row 2 the last one to light up was BAT 15A Bose and the 3rd row the last one to light up was BAT 15A trunk opener. None of the others on down would light.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Are you testing fuses with a test light and key in the ON position?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
I am currently working. Can we continue later this evening? I am normally online around 6 or 7 pm EST and online till 10 or 11 pm
Let me know..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure, in the mean time the only other thing I can think of is the key cylinder is not turning the ignition switch because the first locksmith didn't know what he was doing. I will remove the switch and see if the black stub on the end of the ignition cylinder turns when I turn the key on.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

That is right, forgot a locksmith was in the ignition. It could be some thing broke in the ignition switch causing this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did replace the ignition switch itself. Double checked the fuses with the key on, same thing. Did also see what all works with the key in the on position. Radio, wipers, a/c, and sunroof don't work.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Did you check fuses under the hood as well?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I even double checked all connections by ignition
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Does the power mirrors and read defroster work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, they do not.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

ok.. I may have something cooking.. Hang on..

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

When you are checking fuses, you are using a test light and back probing both sides of the fuse correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All fuses have been double checked including under the hood with a light tester. Same results with all showing good under the hood including main fusible link. What else could it be?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Wow.. All fuses are getting power on both sides? Yet the radio doesn't work, Rear Defroster, Power Mirrors, Wipers, Sunroof, and Air controls? or just AC?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
air controls in general wont work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the only things i detected that work are the lights, security light on the dash, the green light around the key hole and thats about it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh and the power locks work as well.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

When you normally get a situation like this. You get a list of everything not working and try to find the one common thing between all of the items.

In your case. The fuse box is the only common thing. So some where inside the fuse box, something got burned, and is not allowing power to make it out of the fuse box, but is good at the fuses. That has to be it. That is the only thing that makes sense if all fuses are getting power.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the one thing i am gathering from this car is that when i turn the key to the on position its not giving the battery, or better stated... its not letting any power get to the fuse box to those areas that would use it when the car is normally running. Because when i checked the fuses in the car with the key on the fuse tester shows nothing on both sides of the fuse box.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Oh.. I thought you said all fuses were getting power?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1.jpg

Tell me all the number fuses that are not getting power please. That link is the image of your fuse box and all fuse locations have numbers. So let me know what number fuses are not getting power.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
alright, give me a minute and i'll provide it for you. What i can share with you so far is only the top 3 fuses in each column of the fuse box will light up with the tester.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Just give me all the numbers of fuses that have power on both sides, and what fuses do not.

also let me know about the ones under the hood as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, the first column, fuses 1-8 do not have any power still with the key on; 2nd column fuses 12-21 will not have any power with the key on and in row 3 fuses 27-36 dont have any power with the key on either.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all the fuses under the hood do work and have all lit with the tester. the ones that do light up are 9, 10, 11 22, 24, 26 37, 38, 39 and 40
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.. The white wire with the Blue Strip coming out of the Ignition switch, can you see if that has power when the key is turned on?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

There is also a 65 Amp fusible link under the hood I want you to check as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's good as well
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

The fusible link is good.. Then how about the White Wire with the blue stripe out of the ignition? Is that getting power out when the key is in the ON position?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a white wire with red and a solid blue wire but I do not have a white wire with blue coming out of the ignition switch if that is where you're talking about
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

At the ignition switch connector? You don't?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One is labeled R, which is black, the other which is white with red stripe is labeled B and there are 4 other wires on the left side in a row labeled S
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

This is a 96 I30 right?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

What I am looking at in the wiring diagrams is a White wire with a blue stripe is not power that whole lower part of the fuse box. That wire comes from the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
96 i30, but no wire as described
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can check all the wires if u like?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Can you take a picture of the ignition switch connector for me?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure now the one I send you a picture of it going to be the old one that I replaced, but they are identical. Also with the key on I use a light tester and put it on every wire and nothing lit up. Stand by for a picture
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Standing by.. Just going to take the dog out quick.. Take your time..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't get the phone to acknowledge the file grrrrr
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

k

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All I can do is tell you what they are, phone doesn't want to comply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't call pushed it by accident
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a Dropbox to share the photo?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can maybe send it to an email or phone but this web site doesn't want to add file
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do let's try that...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm gonna have to charge phone for a few minutes.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

ok.. Personal contact is against our terms and services unless Additional Service is requested.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok here we go... https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fnaz20y5q9iaiax/AAC6_70p1JvYO6UzsDkd6DQma
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I got it here ...
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

That is what I thought you were going to send me. That is not where the wire is located.

Follow those wires to a connector. That is where it would be

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You mean from this end?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Yes that is the end.. But on the other side of that connector on the main harness.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wires connecting to this end, you're saying one is white with blue? Or are u referring to a different connector?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

You said you replaced the ignition switch right? That doesn't look like it's factory?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's the one that came off it
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

I am talking about the other connector that goes into that. That should have a white wire with a blue stripe that goes to the fuse box

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

I need to get off line soon for the night. It's 11:50 pm here.

I will be online again tomorrow around 6 or 7 pm EST and be online till 10 or 11 pm.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, I will look at it tomorrow morning to find it and share my results. Anything I should when I find it besides check for current?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

What you are going to want to is see if that white wire with the blue stripe has power when the key is ON. If it doesn't, then you need a ignition switch. If you do, follow it to the fuse box. IF you have power all the way to the fuse box, then you need a Fuse Box.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

It's going to be one of those two things.

Thanks Jay!