Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

I was reading this thread: and was wondering if when you

Customer Question
I was reading this thread:http://www.justanswer.com/nissan-infiniti/80krl-infiniti-g35-certain-procedure-replace-exhaust.html#re.v/174/...
I was reading this thread:http://www.justanswer.com/nissan-infiniti/80krl-infiniti-g35-certain-procedure-replace-exhaust.html#re.v/174/ and was wondering if when you said "dump fuel cleaner into the engine" you meant fuel injector cleaner. You showed two pics. Are those pics of the exhaust timing covers. Also, am I understanding correctly that you said replacing the exhaust timing covers usually doesn't fix this issue?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
7/22/2015
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! How many miles do you have on your car? Also are you the original owner? Let me know.
128,000. No, I am the second owner
How many miles were on the car when you brought it?
About 90k
Ok.. These codes are normally one of two things. If you remove the oil cap and you can see sludge in the engine, that is when using the fuel injector cleaner in the engine for 5 miles would help. It may break down the sludge to allow the sprockets to operate properly. If you don't see any sludge, and the car has been maintained properly, then you could have a blown out back timing cover gasket. This gasket is for a plate on the back timing cover that when this gasket fails, oil pressure won't make it to the intake sprockets and they won't operate properly and can cause exhaust timing codes or intake timing codes. So if the engine look free of sludge, then this is more likely your issue and the repair cost for this if it is the back timing cover gasket is around 11 hours labor plus parts. The link below is the gasket location on the back timing cover. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Back%20timing%20cover%20gasket.jpg This one is a gasket blown. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/back%20timing%20cover%20gasket%202.jpg If you do find sludge, using a bottle of injector cleaner into the engine, then drive the car really hard for 5 miles. Then do a oil change and then a exhaust valve timing relearn would determine if the injector cleaner worked. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!
So the back timing cover and the exhaust timing cover are or are not the same thing? Just trying to verify. Ido see a lil thick looking stuff in the engine and around the inside of the oil cap.
The front timing covers, you have two timing covers that go over the sprockets. That is what you are talking about. In the beginning when these codes were starting to pop up, they had us replacing both timing covers and if that did not resolve it, then sprockets and back timing cover. Since then, I have found the timing covers never fixed the problem. The gasket then became available for the back timing cover plate ( the gasket that fails ) and as long as there is no sludge, the intake sprockets never need to be changed. Just the gasket. If there is sludge, then you may want to move forward and replace sprockets when you have the timing cover off and the two small timing covers. Plus the screens. Look for sludge in the engine, not around the oil cap. The engine is the main area you want to peak at. Thanks Jay!
Ok cool. There does appear to b sludge in the engine, so I'll try that with an oil change tonight. After that, do I need to take to dealer for relearn?
yes.. if your going to add the fuel injection cleaner to the engine. Make sure you empty it after a*****after you add it. Also drive it hard! Make the engine work so it cycles the cleaner through the engine. Then do the oil change. After that, take it to the dealer and see if it will take a exhaust valve timing relearn. If it does, you could be ok. If codes return, then the front timing cover will need to be removed and timing area checked to see what is needed to resolve your issue. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay
Ok thanks. ***** have to go to the dealer for the relearn or can I go to a "Big Box" auto shop to get it done?
I am afraid only the dealers scanner can do a Exhaust Valve Timing relearn. Nissan Dealers scanners can do it as well. But they may not be as familiar with doing this relearn. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician