Infiniti

Infiniti Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Infiniti

Infiniti G35 Sport: I'm having a problem with my G35. I bought

Customer Question
I'm having a problem with...
I'm having a problem with my G35. I bought the car and it would not start unless the crank position sensor was unplugged, with the codes for the cam sensors and crank sensor. After taking it to the mechanic they have replaced the clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing and starter, now there is no engine codes, but when the car tries to start it will just lean out and stall. It can't be driven. I replaced the 3 sensors with parts from eBay, it didn't do anything, and they said the first thing they tried was to replace those same 3 sensors. Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Infiniti
7/7/2015
Infiniti Mechanic: Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Do you still have the original sensors? Did the sensors you installed have this logo on them? See link. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM.jpg
I do not believe so, I will look as soon as i get home in about 45 minutes.
ok.. Take your time. It's about 7 pm here and I will be online till 10 or 11 pm. So let me know after you have checked Thanks Jay!
I forgot they are at the mechanic. I will get them tomorrow. Do you mind if I get back to you tomorrow
That is fine. I am online every evening. I will Talk to you then!
yes they did have that marking. We got them from the factory.
Ok.. Good! That helps. Do you have a Cold air intake or K&N air filter on the car?
yes there is a cold air intake on it, and a cone filter.
Do you have the original intake for the car? The reason I am asking is cause cold air intakes & K&N air filters cause these cars to run lean. Let me know..
i do not. I bought it used with this aftermarket intake on it.
Do you have a scanner that can monitor fuel trim? It's hard to test with cold air intakes or K&N air filters. They always cause cars to run lean cause they can't meter air properly. Let me know..
no i don't, what could i do to test that?
Well, let me explain this first so you understand where I am coming from. The way the factory air intakes are designed for the maf sensor to operate is to direct the air so it comes straight at it. This way the MAF sensor can meter the air properly. When you have a cold air intake, or K&N type of air filter it causes a Air Vortex which spirals the air. When the air starts to come at the MAF sensor on a angle, it can't meter the air properly and actually causes the car to run lean. Also, in some cases can cause stalling. So I recommend if you can to get the stock intake and put a factory air filter in the car. Not only will it run better, but you will also improve the Mpg. At the same time, these cold air intakes are very hard on MAF sensors and can cause them to fail also. You understand so far?
Yeah that makes great sense.
would that make it not run though?
It would run cause it still can meter air, just not properly which can cause it to run lean like your describing. Does the car idle?
barely, it will idle but you have to play with the gas in order to keep it running and it will still lean out.
so if you just start it and let it run it'll just die in a few seconds
Try unplugging the MAF sensor and start the car. Do not give it gas, let me know if it idles ok?
ok ill do tomorrow morning when i get back to the car.
Ok.. During the day I may be on and off. I am mainly online in the evenings. I normally am online around 6 or 7 pm and online till 10 or 11 pm. During the day I work, and when I have time, I look and reply. Ok?
okay, another thing it does is it'll never hold a charge, the battery will be dead if i leave it for a day and a half. Dont know if thats related or not but the mechanic said he tested all the wires with an altimeter
I am limited to one topic per question. That is most likely a electrical draw. Not related to the issue you are having. Talk to you tomorrow.
okay, just wanted to give you some background info to see if maybe it was related or not, talk to you tomorrow.
You got it. Talk to you tomorrow
so when i unplug the maf sensor it won't start.
It doesn't? It should start and idle. If it doesn't, then you may have a vacuum leak. What other mods does this car have?
Aftermarket stillen exhaust, and yeah with the maf unplugged it won't start
No intake spacer or anything?
nope, nothing.
Did you check for air leaks?
i checked for vacum leaks with starting fuel
Something is odd. The car should start and run at a default reading when the MAF sensor is unplugged. The fact it doesn't indicates that there may be some sort of air leak. You unplugged the MAF sensor and then attempted to start the car and it won't start? How many miles on the car?
yes, 82k miles.
Other than the MAF sensor codes we caused, you have no other codes?
i don't have a code scanner
Do you know anyone that has one?
Who put the clutch in the car?
i can probably get one tomorrow
a reputable mechanic. It was doing all this before that, the clutch was the first guess
Did you index the flywheel to the crank?
If the fly wheel is not index'd to the crank it could run like this. Did it run like this ever since the clutch was done? Did it run the same? worse? better ? since the clutch was done?
it ran before the clutch was done without the crank position sensor plugged in but with codes, now it just won't start, and yes they did index the flywheel. We talked about it before the clutch was put in.
Did you have a Stock Fly wheel installed? We talked about it as in me and you?
We as is the mechanic and me and no it was aftermarket
Do you have straight duel pipe exhaust ? Also did you drive the car before you did the clutch with the crank sensor unplugged to see how it drove?
It would only start with the crank position sensor unplugged and no it has cats and a resonator
I am wondering if the after market fly wheel is causing something. Try unplugging 1 Cam Sensor and start the car and see if it idles ok
Okay. I will try it tomorrow
Ok..
Sorry it's just not at the same place I live so I have to go over there to try stuff.
ok...
hey so i messed with the car a little bit and it won't start when i unplug the maf but when i plug in the maf it'll start for about 2 seconds and die
how can i test for if the timing is off?
You need a scanner to monitor intake timing. Other wise, if it can't run to check, you may need to yank the timing cover to check it. Thanks Jay!
I feel like it is. There's no way to tell if it's timing?
There is no other way to check the timing other than to remove the front timing cover and turn the engine to Top Dead center and look at all your timing marks.
Well before that can you think of anything else to try
I have rarely ever seen where one of these cars don't at least start and run at idle when the MAF sensor is unplugged. Normally when you unplug the MAF sensor it will idle at it's default rich settings which is -25%. That is what I would looking for. You can try unplugging Bank 1 Cam Sensor and start the car and see how it idles... Do not drive it, just see if it idles better. Then take notes.. Turn the car off, plug Bank 1 Cam Sensor back in, and then unplug Bank 2 Cam Sensor. Then start and let it idle again. Let me know if it idled better with Bank 1 or Bank 2 unplugged or both or neither. Let me know.
It won't even start now. It'll crank but won't fire. I've tried with the maf plugged in and unplugged
I tested spark and I'm gettin spark in cylinder 1, and I can smell the fuel so I know the pump is priming
So I pulled the intake manifold and tested for fuel, getting fuel in all cylinders and spark as well
I will be online later this evening..ok
okay.
I will be online in about 20 mins..
Awesome
If you clear all the codes we caused by disconnecting Cam Sensors, does any new codes return?
Also did you get gas recently?
nope no new codes, and last time i got gas was about 3 months ago.
I would say you are going to have to check the physical timing at this point. Thanks Jay!
How long have you been dealing with this issue? Did the car ever run good?
The car ran but not without a check engine light
There is fuel leaking under the car but that just started happening after I took the intake manifold off, I'm guessing I didn't install an injector right
Yes, that is possible. Did it run fairly good with the check engine light? What was that code?
It ran alright however it was never as quick as my 350z. The codes were for the brand and cam sensors. Along with the vdc and slip
It sounds like you are going to need to check the psychical timing. Something seems off. I don't know what more I can do for you. I offered additional service if you would like to speak with me about this. Let me know..
How could the timing be off if it's a chain?
Something sounds off.. It would be easier to speak with you about this at this point. If you don't wish to do so, I understand. But I can't continue any further. Thanks Jay!
That's an additional $20. It says it's guaranteed you can diagnose the problem but I'm still at square 1
I feel we are loosing something going back and forth. That is why I figured it would be best to speak with you. Yes it's a additional charge, but you would be able to speak with me so we can work this issue out to see what sort of direction is needed.
I mean I've told you everything I've
tested and everything I know about it
It sounds like there is nothing more I can help you with then. I will opt out and see if anyone else can help you. Thanks Jay!
So I paid $20 to hear everything I aready know
If you had told me more of exactly what you had done from the beginning you would have not wasted so much of each others time on your issue. At this point it will require hands on with a scanner to determine since we can't speak about it. Thanks and good luck. Do not reply as I have opened this question back up for any other experts. If another expert feels they can help you, they will reply. Thanks Jay
Jay
Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician